Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.map importer (HL, Quake, etc...)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_boom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: .map importer (HL, Quake, etc...) Reply with quote

Hi,

Let me first say that I just downloaded the lite version a couple days ago and have been very, very impressed. I've been a long time Hammer/worldcraft user for .dif creation in a Torque related game (Tribes 2). Your editor blows Hammer away...period. I would love to buy the pro version, but i have a couple of nagging questions before it would make sense for me to do so:

-Is there/will there be an importer for .map files?

-I see that you are making an exporter for Torque, will that be a direct .dif exporter, or will it allow you to save a .map file. How is progress going on this?

-Will there be a .dts exporter?

Keep up the good work guys, again, this is one of the smoothest editors I have seen and I'm hoping you have plans for some of these things.

Thanks Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there dr_boom and welcome! Smile

Thanks for your kind words, appreciated! About your questions: they're better answered by PJ as he's creating the Torque exporter and possibly importers as well. But as he has very limited time atm, let me take a shot at it.

- a .map importer would be very nice indeed, as it would allow vast numbers of people to use DeleD extensively -> sharing maps would be made easy that way. We definately would like such an importer and I'll discuss this with PJ for sure.

- the same story applies for .dts I think, although I don't know very much about that format.

- the exporter will create a .map file. Progress is going steady. PJ has written quite some code already but it'll take some time before an alpha version can be released. Again, this all is more PJ's territory so don't pin me down on what I said just now.

PJ, your turn! Wink
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For dts, I just export as an obj and import into milkshape, export to dts. It works. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's confirm what Jeroen just said then: Very Happy

The Torque exporter we are working on exports .map files, then optionally invokes the map2dif tool to convert it to .dif. So if you want to postprocess the .map file with some other tool, that's very well possible.

Progress on the first alpha release of the Torque exporter is pretty much ok. Exporting scenes consisting of convex solids works nicely. All the work lies in making it fairly robust to the arbitrary polygon soup DeleD allows you to create. Soon (please forgive me for not giving an exact date), a thread will be posted here and on the Torque forums inviting people to partake in the first alpha tests (then beta, then live).

Once the first version of the exporter is up and running, dts exports will be built into it as well. However, as DeleD does not do animation, I think the potential use of the dts exporter is rather limited.

A .MAP importer is not yet available, but will be (starting with the Torque exporter, we plan to have more support for such file formats). By the way, do you have a good resources for free .maps to test with?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
A .MAP importer is not yet available, but will be (starting with the Torque exporter, we plan to have more support for such file formats). By the way, do you have a good resources for free .maps to test with?
I might have some old .map files on a CD with some old VTM:R work. They are EMBRACE("QERadient ") map files. The entities and lights are all VTM:R specific, but I think the geometry is the same.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Would it be possible to send me some of those? Very Happy

There are quite a few flavours of .map files out there, it would be nice if the importer can at least be tested with a decent size subset.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only problem is knowing what they are. I have no real way to look at them. Laughing
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay PMed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Smile

I have quite a few .map files should you need them Paul-Jan. Unfortunately, they are not as complex as a full HL or Quake map since they are only buildings. One building in particular is fairly large and complex though with a ton of omni lights, textures, etc... It might be helpful in your testing. Let me know if you want to use it.

Regarding .dts, yeah, the lack of animation does limit it a bit. But it would still be great for creating detailed pieces such as lights, deco, terminals, static plants, etc... Imo, Torque people would like it!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cool. I think I would really like to have that one, then! Could you e-mail it to paul [at] delgine [dot] com? That would be great!

Thanks for commenting on the DTS exports, it's good to know that there is some use for static DTS models.
dr_boom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent it. Looks like it was successful.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks a lot! Very Happy
dr_boom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thought i would check in to see how work was coming on the importer. Smile
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite good actually, I didn't run into any real problems loading your map so far... now there is just a whole lot of polishing left to be done (texture handling, uv coordinates, error-proof, etc.). I expect the map importer to be ready for release soon after we bring out DeleD 1.5 and the Torque exporter.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: