Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double Shadows

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpesoj
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Double Shadows Reply with quote

I have been wondering about this for a while, because with DeleD you cannot generate double shadows when lightmapping and I thought it may just be a limitation of the lightmapping process, but having seen DBPro's new lightmapping commands (not the ideal implimentation of lightmapping), which do exhibit double shadows, I am wondering how hard it would be to allow DeleD to do this. Double shadows do add something to the overall realism of a scene. Check here for some screenshots.

Let me demonstrate. In the screenshot below there are two lights of the same settings, at different angles but identical distance from a pillar. Only one small triangular shadow is cast in the centre. This is not really how it would work in real life.

The two screenshots below show either light being switched off. Each casts a separate shadow.

Now below on the left is a mock up of how I think it should look, by combining the images in photoshop. I think it looks a lot cooler Smile. You can get similar shadows if you use two primary coloured lights (below right), so the effect is sort of achievable, but the problem is when you use two lights with the same colours in, the amounts of colour doesn't seem to add, the brighter light just seems to overwrite the other light completely.

It would be quite awesome if you could impliment this in DeleD!

Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this very detailed request. Other users (like Vampyre) have pointed this out as well. We'll give the light blending another good look when we revamp the lightmapper. Perhaps even sooner.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be a good feature to concentrate on after the 1.5 release. It'll really spice up our lightmapper. Very Happy
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the current lightmapper just has a "is in shadow" flag for each texel. However, the right way to do lighting is to start out with darkness (or, rather, ambient), and then, for each texel, for each light, check whether it's in shadow from that light, and if not, add that lights' contribution.

If, instead, your mapper maps lights into the scene, you can still do the beam tree from each light, and add light contribution to all surfaces hit by the beam tree; then do the same for the next light, ...
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, the lightmapper doesn't use a flag, but it does clip the light to the maximum influence light source instead of adding all of 'm together. I think this behaviour was originally introduced to fix some lighting artifacts that do not exist anymore, but I can't say for sure.

It's easy to fix, but I am kinda not allowed to toy around with the lightmapper until I got everything on my 1.5 list implemented. Very Happy
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get dual shadows tonight in this scene just messing around.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: