Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POV-RAY exporter for DeleD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mappy
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Il Buzzo,
any news on that plugin ?
Are you still working on it or ... did you stop for any reasons ?

TIA Wink
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mappy,
I'm still developing DeleD Pov Ray exporter but now I'm dedicating myself to release my new version of BuzzoBeer 2.0 a program for homebrewers (I hope to finish last details this week so to dedicate more time to DeleD) please be patient Wink.
mappy
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok no problems Wink
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Finally I did an important step to beta of this program, give a look to this exported scene from DeleD using my plugin (finally ported to VS8 and corrected some bugs):

So what do you think about it?
Let me know, I think to release a first beta soon.
Bye all and thanks for patience Wink
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's awesome! I personally would love to see a good plugin integration with PoVRay, and I can hardly wait to get my hands on such a beta. Just be warned: I am sure I'll have at least a dozen feature requests after fiddling around with it... Very Happy
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul-Jan,
I'll release first beta within this week-end and I think I'll release in lua version too, or to be more precise I'll release beta in lua so to expose my code to users and final version in C++ (it's this tecnique that made me find code errors Wink in lua plugin system and C++ wizard Wink , corrected yet).
Bye Wink
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've just released first beta of POV-Ray exporter for LuaPluginSystem.
You can download as usual from [796 KB]:
http://www.ilbuzzo.net/downloads/POVRayLuaBeta.zip
Note that you need to replace LuaPluginSystem with the one present in this archive (a work in progress release with some bug fixes).
So try it and let me know more....
Well this plugin still needs something, so please report everything you'll like to have and I'll see what I can do.
Bye all Wink
mappy
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Il Buzzo,
I will have a look at your plugin in the next few days.
Thanks a lot !
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've had a good new idea for my plugin, so I'm implementing it, give a look to the following image:

As you can see I've implemented in my lua plugin system OpenGl bindings via luagl (supported by iup too) so now I'll use a visual way to retrieve camera infos as well as giving user access to new features (I'll release a brand new version of Lua Plugin System with these commands enabled).
Think just to the addition of water planes etc.... directly in plugin as a support to add PovRay primitives too (uses are really lot, but as usual, now I really need to test a little more).
But you'll find in my next week release of beta2....stay tuned
Bye all Wink
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I just took a little break to play around with your exporter, and sure had a lot of fun. I ended up with this (modeling and lighting from DeleD, little material/scene tweaking from within povray, the reason it doesn't look like much is my utter lack of modeling skills):

Remarks:
- All in all things worked very well, had a smooth ride testing this out! Good job! Very Happy
- I held DeleD open while I fired up PovRay, and it complained about the texture directory not being accessible (until I closed off DeleD). Maybe there should be an option to copy the textures to a different location, or something like that? Actually, I am not quite sure what caused that problem in the first place (I don't think DeleD locks texture files), any idea?
- Performance was a bit... slow. While I exported this (2000 polygon) this scene I had to wait for about 20 seconds and the GUI become totally unresponsive and didn't update. PoVRay actually renders the scene a lot faster than that, so this could become a bit of a nuisance with bigger scenes.
- Could the exporter do optional normal smoothing? It's not visible due to the small size of the image, but the flat normals looked pretty bad on the sides of the letters.
- Wish: The option to have the exporter render 'true' spheres whenever it encountres a sphere primitive (and all the vertices are on the sphere radius). Spheres rock! Wink
- I was wondering why you included those .inc files on top of the .pov file, if they are not used in the scene.
- I'm not too sure on this (not a PovRay wizard), but isn't exporting a separate mesh2 for each polygon a bit odd? Shouldn't it be one mesh2 per primitive, with indices for all the polygon/face data? This structure of the .POV file made changing the material for the text a bit awkward (I don't know if it's possible to change the material for a collection of objects at once in the .POV scene description language, but I'd still rather have one object per primitive).
- Wish: Directly invoke the povray 'render scene' option from within the plugin.
- Wish: Exporter using the DeleD Camera position and orientation for the export (yep, I know this isn't your fault because the DeleD plugin system doesn't export it yet, but for this particular exporter that would be a mighty convenient thing to have)

That's about it. Feel free to ignore most of these. Again: good job on the exporter, had a lot of fun with it! Smile
mappy
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Performance was a bit... slow. While I exported this (2000 polygon) this scene I had to wait for about 20 seconds and the GUI become totally unresponsive and didn't update

Same thing for me. I don't know why really, PovRay usually works very well.

Quote:
Wish: Exporter using the DeleD Camera position and orientation for the export

Agreed ! Smile

Thanks Il Buzzo.
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
thanks for comments but as said before it was just first beta, so next version will be the following:

I've added gl and some glu commands to Lua Plugin sys and now I'm creating a more versatile plugin.
Anyway just to answer some questions:
Quote:
I held DeleD open while I fired up PovRay, and it complained about the texture directory not being accessible (until I closed off DeleD). Maybe there should be an option to copy the textures to a different location, or something like that? Actually, I am not quite sure what caused that problem in the first place (I don't think DeleD locks texture files), any idea?

As I know it's just a warning, if you give access you'll have no problems, anyway I think I can disable this warning in code (just need to give a look to help guide, I'll find a solution anyway).
Quote:
Performance was a bit... slow. While I exported this (2000 polygon) this scene I had to wait for about 20 seconds and the GUI become totally unresponsive and didn't update. PoVRay actually renders the scene a lot faster than that, so this could become a bit of a nuisance with bigger scenes.

I know that, but it's really due to the fact that each poly could have a different materials that is not contemplated in PovRay, you need to create at least an object for each material used.
For now I've created a mesh for each poly but in future I'll check if each poly of an object has the same material I'll create just an object.
Another problem is due to primitives, PovRay is very fast with primitives, less with triangle soups. This is the reason I'll give user the possibility to render using PovRay primitives, but then you'll loose your UV mapping and scaling....
Quote:

- Could the exporter do optional normal smoothing? It's not visible due to the small size of the image, but the flat normals looked pretty bad on the sides of the letters.

I think so but I've not tested yet...
Quote:
- Wish: The option to have the exporter render 'true' spheres whenever it encountres a sphere primitive (and all the vertices are on the sphere radius). Spheres rock!

Well no problem, I'll extract infos from sphere but user must choose it from Scene inspector and then set props.
Quote:

I'm not too sure on this (not a PovRay wizard), but isn't exporting a separate mesh2 for each polygon a bit odd? Shouldn't it be one mesh2 per primitive, with indices for all the polygon/face data? This structure of the .POV file made changing the material for the text a bit awkward (I don't know if it's possible to change the material for a collection of objects at once in the .POV scene description language, but I'd still rather have one object per primitive)

Just answered this, but I've read somewhere I can use a texture list so I can export 1 entire object (and not one poly....)
Quote:

- Wish: Directly invoke the povray 'render scene' option from within the plugin.
- Wish: Exporter using the DeleD Camera position and orientation for the export (yep, I know this isn't your fault because the DeleD plugin system doesn't export it yet, but for this particular exporter that would be a mighty convenient thing to have)

Done yet and present in my work in progress version, ready for next beta.....just need some more testing....User will navigate scene with mouse and WASD in 3D preview or set values in scene inspector (I'm intending in my plugin and not in DeleD cause there is no way to obtain camera data in a direct way from within DeleD).
Well I think I've answered most of questions, I'm doing my best to place a lot of functionalities in my next beta (I'll release next week)....
So bye All Wink and thanks for comments
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, Il Buzzo! Especially for explaining the POVRay one-material-per-object restriction, things make sense now.

Keep up the great work, can hardly wait for the next version, the new features look neat!
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
as explained before I'm releasing a new Beta of my POV RAy plugin for Lua system.
As usual you can download from [just 851KB]:
http://www.ilbuzzo.net/downloads/POVRayLuaBeta.zip
and this is a screenshot of plugin:

After exporting remember to close window before closing DeleD to avoid errors (plugin is called by DeleD).
In this version I've added some things following Paul-Jan suggestions :
    better scene description
    just one object for each mesh2
    materials defined before everything for a clearer file
    new mesh definition used so to improve performance (frauenkirke rendered in 5 seconds)

To install as usual please install everithing contained in zip file in DeleD plugins dir (overwrite old LuaPluginSys.dll cause I've added some more features in this build...I'll release a complete help with LuaPluginSys 1.2 when I think I've added all wanted, now I've added all gl commands and some glu commands).
As usual test this plugin and let me know more if you discover bugs or have suggestions....
bye all Wink
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
remember to close window before closing DeleD to avoid errors (plugin is called by DeleD)

It is quite possible to hook DeleD enough to close the window before DeleD goes away, to avoid the crash. I did that in the NuXporter exporter.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: