Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C4 engine, Collada format export

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaylon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: C4 engine, Collada format export Reply with quote

Would be superb if you supported collada as an export format...would open up a lot of doors...especially for anyone considering deleoping using the excellent C4 engine...

K
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right! Collada support is already on our list, mainly because we think the C4 engine is pretty cool. Very Happy

The only drawback is that we don't really want to buy the engine just to test the output from the exporter (even though it's really cheap: it's more or less an 'on principle' thing). Maybe we'll drop Eric Lengyel a line to see if we can get a limited license or anything. Offtopic: Eric is our hero, Jeroen and me both have his excellent mathematics book.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As business men, you might need to look at it in a business light: How many licenses of DeleD would you sell if you had C4 support? Then compare that to the cost of the engine (small), and the amount of work involved (large). The principle can't really be "spend no money" -- well, at least not for long :-)

Anyway, there are other tools that read Collada. Do you own one of the big modelers, such as 3dsmax?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but wouldn't the C4 engine benefit from support by another modeler as well? The toolset supporting Collada is steadily growing, but in the past the lack of tools was a real issue for C4 (imho... plus the collada format itself wasn't exactly up to par until recently). That's the 'on principle' part... and no, it doesn't make much sense businesswise, and yes, we'll end up buying the engine anyway Very Happy

[edit]: Just read the latest Collada does support multiple layers of uv, so exporting lightmaps becomes an option. Yay![/edit]
holger53
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using C4 I would like to see an collada export option.

If you would confirm to develop such an exporter I

would definitly buy DeleD 3D pro.

I have the same wishes for a map importer for I still using torque.

(But ok, that's another thread Wink )
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will definitely be a Collada exporter. If we get the DeleD 1.5 release out on schedule, development on such an exporter will most likely start the second half of august. And be finished shortly after, as Collada is rather straightforward.

If such an exporter is an absolute requirement for you, you might want to simply wait for that. However, if you would decide the current version of DeleD PRO already offers enough added value to get it, we are not exactly holding you back... Wink
holger53
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan,

thanks fior the answer.

When will 1.5 come out?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holger53 wrote:

When will 1.5 come out?

DeleD 1.5 is scheduled to be released in the midst of august. I hope we will make it, we got lots of work to do! But we're definately going for august.
holger53
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeroen,

is there a feature list of 1.5?

Would like to compare it with 3WDS.
Guyon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@holger53 RE: is there a feature list of 1.5? Would like to compare it with 3WDS.

I have both. 3dWS is like playing with blocks while DeleD is more like modeling. Though you can just use blocks with DeleD (if you want)

Since 3dWS is based on objects. If you can't make your item with simple blocks in 3dWS you must model that objects with an other program like DeleD and then import it. Importing them can be a pain and then you have to re-texture them again in 3dWS.
It's creator very rarely replies to questions, you are forced to relay upon a forum for answers. Although the forum is very good. Even though 3DWS os object based it lacks many important objects. My request for a sphere was turned down. So be ready to only use very simple objects.

The biggest problem with the 3dWS system is that, though it's life older projects can NOT be used with the next version!!! So you may lose projects.

I have been a user of Cartography Shop/3dWS for years and find DeleD a much better program to make levels and objects.

If you really have your heart set on 3DWS then I would be happy to sell you mine at a discount.

Guyon

Last edited by Guyon on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holger53 wrote:
Thanks Jeroen,

is there a feature list of 1.5?

The current featurelist can be found here

1.5 will feature the following additional extras:

Added functionality
- Full control over the viewports; add/delete viewports at will or change existing viewports into other types, like converting a TOP view into a 3D view (PRO only).
- An UV Editor, making direct and precise manipulation of texture coordinates possible.
- Reverse Selection command which deselects everything that was selected and selects everything that wasn't selected.
- PNG support added (PRO only).
- Edge scale
- Optional WSAD 3D camera control

Changed functionality
- You can now choose to rotate/scale a selection of objects around their mutual center or rotate/scale them around their individual centers.
- Improved Zoom all and Focus on selection tools.
- Drag select can now be used to deselect items
- Ctrl+Shift vertex selection in the 3D view works as expected.
- Vertex mode rendering and selection in the 3D view is now 'occluded': vertices can't be seen through other geometry anymore. This makes selecting vertices in a non-trivial scene much more convenient.
- Various small code optimizations have been made.

Do note that if you buy DeleD now (v1.44), you will get all updates up to 2.0 for free. Smile
holger53
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guyon and Jeroen,

Quote:
Do note that if you buy DeleD now (v1.44), you will get all updates up to 2.0 for free.

That's a good reason to buy now.

But as I told you I will need to import/export of map-files.
But reading the postings here in your forum I am sure you will deliver it
in the future.

EDIT: Just bought it...
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holger53 wrote:

EDIT: Just bought it...

Just sent you your license key and DownloadeD login info. Welcome on board of the PRO train! Very Happy
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guyon wrote:
The biggest problem with the 3dWS system is that, though it's life older projects can NOT be used with the next version!!! So you may lose projects.
Surprised ~ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Amateur.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: