Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuke and Pave

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Nuke and Pave Reply with quote

I hate adding new feature requests, when the main feature really should be "absolutely solid" and "plug-in API allows development of arbitrary commands."

But!

I find myself yearning for the days of yore (say, 1995) when the Marathon level editor had that delicious "Nuke and Pave" tool, which would allow you to map floors, walls and ceilings within the selection with given textures. It would detect what's a floor, what's a wall, and what's a ceiling, based on orientation. Once you're done carving out geometry, this makes it really fast to get a good default set going.

A generalization of this would be something like "select faces by orientation" where the orientation and tolerance can be selected in a dialog; then you can do whatever you want to those faces (map, flip, duplicate, whatnot).
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the current plugin system allow this already?

You send your selection to the plugin, you evaluate the normals, and apply the proper texture to the surface, then you send them back?
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand the helpfulness of this feature. You dont need to carve floors, walls etc. out of shapes. Or hollow a cube and carve everything who need to be space out.

Wfr, Sindwiller
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carving is sometimes a quite helpful way of building, even if you don't "have" to do it.

However, even if you build your geometry by laying down the floor plan (using polylines) and then Extrude-ing upwards, you still end up with geometry that has the same texture on floor, walls and ceiling. Manually selecting ceiling polys and applying ceiling texture, then the same for floor, is fairly tedious. I've found that doing it in 3D is simplest.

Regarding the existing plug-in system: I'll have to think about that. It might very well.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, im thinking of "Brushed-Modeling"? Well, it isnt very easy to explain. Have you ever mapped for some games with Hammer or Radiant? The levels there are based on brushes, simple shapes. So, you just build your floor from a shape, then the walls, then the ceiling etc.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree "select faces by orientation" would be a really nice thing to have, thanks for the suggestion! Putting it on the list. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: