Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to Fill Region

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vijchti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Unable to Fill Region Reply with quote

I keep getting this error message and can almost never fill in any area...it's driving me crazy.

I'm sure you can tell me some common problem that makes that happen (yes, the vertices are connected and on the same object), but it might be nice if the error message was a tad more descriptive about what I can do to fix it.

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that they are connected? Sometimes, it only looks like this, but it's not necessarily. For example, when you extrude neighbouring edges, the vertices aren't welded (don't know it that's still like this). Try to select all vertices and weld them with a value of like 2 or so.
Vijchti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've already made sure there aren't any wierd vertices hiding in there. I just gave up and remade the object a slightly more complicated way (which actually ended up helping me out...it's much more modifiable now)

Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vijchti: I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be to make the code more descriptive on how to solve the issue (I'd think that if the could tell you that, it could also just do it for you), but I'll let Jeroen answer that.

Just wanted to put a sidenote in:

If you ever run into the situation DeleD isn't able to perform an operation on an object while in your eyes it is completely feasible, or where it seems like DeleD is doing the wrong thing altogether, you can always send Jeroen or me the .DMF (with a little note saying "I want to do this and that... why doesn't it let me?"). It makes for a bit of overhead for you, but it would provide us with a perfect reproduction case, and maximize the probability of getting the functionality improved asap (or a clear explanation on why in that particular case the functionality cannot be applied).

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vijchti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I'll do that next time. Thanks.

Vijchti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found the problem -- it comes down to the fact that you sometimes can't connect vertices from extruded shapes.

For instance, make a rectangle, select two edges and extrude them out, then try to connect them to make a full cube. You can't. Sad

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fill command tries to order the selected vertices so it can form a new polygon with those ordered vertices. This ordering is needed because the vertices of a polygon need to be in correct order. To order the vertices, the command uses edges between the vertices. It can order vertices if at most one edge between those edges is missing (for example, between the last and the first vertex). This means you cannot fill the region in the example of Vijchti, because it is missing two edges. I might be able to implement a better algorithm in the future. Anyone have some suggestions for a better one?

Edit: I noticed that Silo simply fills the region by creating a polygon using the selected vertices in the order they were selected. This can lead to incorrect polygons indeed, but if people think that isn't much of a problem (as you can select the vertices in the correct order yourself anyway before using Fill), I can quite easily implement that kind of behaviour. Comments please! Smile
Vijchti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that helps...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: