Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions on the XML interface

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Suggestions on the XML interface Reply with quote

Let's pick apart the following XML:

Code:
    <primitive id="4" name="cube6" type="cube" visible="true" snap="none" autoUV="true">
      <tag>-</tag>
      <vertices>
        <vertex id="0" x="-1024" y="-256" z="768" />
        <vertex id="1" x="-1024" y="-256" z="-1792" />
        <vertex id="2" x="1024" y="-256" z="-1792" />
        <vertex id="3" x="1024" y="-256" z="768" />
        <vertex id="4" x="-1024" y="-288" z="768" />
        <vertex id="5" x="-1024" y="-288" z="-1792" />
        <vertex id="6" x="1024" y="-288" z="-1792" />
        <vertex id="7" x="1024" y="-288" z="768" />
      </vertices>
      <polygons>
        <poly mid="1">
          <vertex vid="0" u0="-4" v0="-2" />
          <vertex vid="1" u0="-4" v0="8" />
          <vertex vid="2" u0="4" v0="8" />
          <vertex vid="3" u0="4" v0="-2" />
        </poly>
        <poly mid="1">
          <vertex vid="5" u0="-4" v0="8" />
          <vertex vid="4" u0="-4" v0="-2" />
          <vertex vid="7" u0="4" v0="-2" />
          <vertex vid="6" u0="4" v0="8" />
        </poly>

The <vertices> tag ought to have the highest ID, or the count of vertices, to allow pre-allocating storage space.

The <polygons> tag also ought to have the number of polygons, again to allow pre-allocating space.

It would also be useful if it had the maximum number of texture coordinates used within any of the polys inside.

The <poly> element ought to have the number of vertices as an attribute, as well.

I think that'll do for now. I'll return later :-)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just stick it in the primitive tag as an attribute, along with a few other things, like center position, size, etc..
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think bounding box (from which you can get both size and center :-) would make for an excellent XML element that's a child of primitive. It doesn't quite make it as an attribute, IMO.

Of course, I wanted them to store arrays as just CDATA numbers (similar to Collada), but instead we got this attribute heavy schema. Although I paid my purchase fee a long time ago, so any updates I'm getting are free, so how could I complain :-)
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify what I meant by CDATA for arrays, something like this would be nice:

Code:

<vertices count="3">
<array type="float" stride="3">
1.5 -1.0 2.7
2.2 1.0 1.0
0.0 3.14 69
</array>
</vertices>

This would be significantly faster to parse (and easier, as you'd just pre-allocate 3*3 floats in this case, and scan the array in to that allocated array).

But, given that 1.6 is already out with XML, I think it might be hard to change the schema wildly at this point.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions are always welcome!

Personally, I am not much in favour of using CData. Having unstructured (or perhaps more accurately: customly structured) text inside XML always seems to kinda defy the whole purpose of using XML in the first place.

How is parsing ("scanning") space-separated data any easier than using data that is readily parsed into floats by the standard XML reader?

Two reasons for using CData I can identify with are:
1. The data inside the CData structure is always used "as is" in the XML consuming applications (don't think that applies here).
2. Performance (also emcompassing things like pre-allocation info).

If/when/once (2) becomes a serious problem (the exact moment is of course up for debate, but the plugin system is the most likely candidate to become problematic) , I think I'd rather skip XML completely and move on to some chunk-based binary format. Instant massive speedup.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How is parsing ("scanning") space-separated data any easier than using data that is readily parsed into floats by the standard XML reader?

Faster, for obvious reasons.
Easier (or at least, more straightforward), because you would just allocate an array of floats, and convert numbers from the CDATA text:

Code:
float *array = new array[stride*count];
stringstream str(cdata, size);
float *ptr = array, end = ptr + stride*count;
while (ptr != end) {
  str >> *ptr;
  ++ptr;
}

This is significantly simpler than looking through all attributes for X, Y and Z values (and potentially the ID too, if you don't want to assume they're sequential starting at 0). In my opinion, of course. CDATA is a fine way of storing "bulk" data where the structure has to be known by the user implicitly anyway.

And I don't use the built-in XML parser, because it's pretty darn slow. XMLSCAN is the fastest XML scanner and DOM builder I know of (and I include a copy in the nuxporter 1.6 code on Google, btw).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: