Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

texture brush?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: texture brush? Reply with quote

i dont know if you call it a texture brush and i know it will be difficult to add in DeleD but it would be really great if we could "paint" our texture's on our model.

at the link here you see some movies in the middle of the website, click on that one of the prehistoric creature.
in this movie somewhere in the middle you see what i mean.

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/hexagon/-/?

hope it will be implented Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you can make an entire program out of this stuff!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the ability to paint textures directly onto your model is a great help if you are texturing high-poly organic things, but when modeling a level (or some generic low-poly detailed stuff) I never seem to feel the need.... I personally would give better uv mapping / unwrapping functionality a lot higher priority, because that's the stuff I really miss. But perhaps I am alone in this, let's hear what everybody else thinks... Very Happy
yoslo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very interesting idea I think. indeed it would be well to be able to directly paint texture on a map.

Exemple,on this map, capacity to paint several textures using brushs would be very interesting!

Our Shop : http://tempest-studio.com/boutique/
espritcool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me i am interrested because i make lot of texture effet and it is good for texture exterior, road wih grasse border Wink

i want thiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss
Textures gratuites
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to do something like that too, but the thing is: we only have a limited amount of time to code on DeleD (besides day jobs etc). This means we have to select new features carefully, as I'm sure you'll all understand. Wink However, this sure is some nice feature to have!
yoslo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We understand completely! we work even over our spare time.
If one day you have time of them, I think that it is a useful function, there are surely other things more important to make before. Wink

Our Shop : http://tempest-studio.com/boutique/
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Exemple,on this map, capacity to paint several textures using brushs would be very interesting!

that's exactly what i was thinking about, this way you can paint roads etc. in your terrain without the use of other programs. And it will deffinately make the time you need to create a terrain (together with smooth function) ALOT faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This would be a very nice feature. Smile

Actualy, this is called "texture splatting".
You normaly have 4 textures and a splat-texture.
The splat texture has 4 channels R,G,B and A.
Each channel describes the opacity for each texture at a specific position on the map. Brushing a material on the scene is simply editing the splat texture.

This method is described here.

Be aware that you can only render 4 different materials per splat texture.
Using many materials will result in many splat's. A splat must cover the whole mesh and will often be large. So you should only use this for a small group of materials. You also need pixelshaders to implement this in a game.

That's why i think it would be great if we could color our vertices by using a brush. Then you don't have to worry about large textures.
This would set the vertex's diffuse and specular colors. You can easily reuse textures by giving them different colors for dirt, rock, desert etc...

My topic about diffuse and specular colors. Wink
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i almost forgot this but i just wanted to say i really really really would like this to be implented Razz Razz

it would make everything so much faster, then i don't have to open an other paint program and make a huge* texture for my terrain and then slap it on my ground.

*(sometimes i need to make texture's that are 2000px/2000px and that really makes my game much slower)
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need pixelshaders for (limited) texturesplatting, take a look at the way some older engines Torque Game Engine implement it. Not as fancy as the things you can do with a shader, but still very acceptable.

I'm sure a future like this will be added in time, but terrain editing is not on the top of our priority list (there are 3rd party applications focusing completely on terrain editing). It's really cool to have, but it's hard to prioritize splatting (implicitly editing multiple texture layers) over basic functionality, like directly editing multiple texture layers' uv coordinates, that is still missing.

We'll definitely think about it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: