Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

other formats for lightmaps.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: other formats for lightmaps. Reply with quote

i think this is very easy to implent but also very usefull

i would like to have that i can select in what format my lightmaps are saved like jpg, png etc.

now it always saves in bmp and that is a very large format for games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGA, TGA, TGA, TGA! Laughing

Quote:
now it always saves in bmp and that is a very large format for games.
A x*x texture is always the same size, no matter what file format it came from. (Not counting texture compression...)
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A x*x texture is always the same size, no matter what file format it came from. (Not counting texture compression...)

i mean the file size, when i save an image to jpg it will be around 100kb in size and when i save that same image in bmp it is around 1mb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
Quote:

i mean the file size, when i save an image to jpg it will be around 100kb in size and when i save that same image in bmp it is around 1mb
At a cost.

BMPs compress very well if you are worried about distribution?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNG is great...but never use JPEG for textures..they loose quality to fast...real crappy format for games.

K
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think texture compression can be left for another content pipeline step. If you use grayscale light maps, you can change them to L8 or A8 format. If you use color, you might change them to DXT1 or DXT5, which might work OK given that light maps are slowly varying in space. JPG may generate too much blocking artifacts, and will use more space on the graphics card, where teture memory usage is often more of a problem than on disk.

That being said, uncompressed TGA is easier to read than uncompressed BMP (by a few lines of code :-) so if you could use or support that, that'd be cool.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards supporting .TGA, .PNG and DXT (possibly both 1 and 5) as alternative file formats. The main thing that is stopping me from adding support right now is that the latter two would probably require integration of some 3rd party code (I think writing encoders for those formats ourselves would not be very cost-effective), which is a bit of a hassle.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards supporting .TGA, .PNG and DXT (possibly both 1 and 5) as alternative file formats. The main thing that is stopping me from adding support right now is that the latter two would probably require integration of some 3rd party code (I think writing encoders for those formats ourselves would not be very cost-effective), which is a bit of a hassle.
But TGA cost nothing, and is easy as hell. It's an RGBA dump with a header. [/armtwisting]
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True (DeleD already used to writes out TGA's to generate dummy textures), but the benefits of just doing TGA are too small to prioritize it atm... unless I get really bored with the other stuff I'm working on, that is Smile
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not just "benefit," it's "benefit per development time."
TGA support would be, what, 30 minutes?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 minutes taken directly out of issues that are higher on the list, yes. But anyway, I have added both .TGA and .JPG support for now (available in the next beta).

I know I have been the biggest antagonist of using JPEG's for storing lightmaps in the past, but I've done some experiments, and the practical results where not bad at all.

So I've decided to get off the high horse and offer it as an option to those users who have filesize issues. I did add a little warning about how using a lossy file format might lead to artifacts.

All of this stuff is PRO only of course... Very Happy
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I've canceled the full on TGA assault plans. I don't know what me and jwatte are going to do with all these torches and pitchforks.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, maybe my lightmap of 125 mb will now be a little lower Embarassed Razz
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
thank you, maybe my lightmap of 125 mb will now be a little lower Embarassed Razz
That's insane. You should never have that much. You're settings should be turned down.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i already did, i just wanted to make a very detailed lightmap of a scene with 27k poly's. it took 3 hours to complete(which i think is quite fast).

the scene is now 21,2 mb.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: