Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Export to 3DS Max
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Export to 3DS Max Reply with quote

Hello,

I could've swore I had registered a couple of years ago...Anyway, I would like to export imported maps to 3D Studio Max. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best path to Max. OBJ, .X, Collada? I should note that I need the texturing to remain intact. Thanks in advance,

Nick
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all three paths should work just fine for what you want, assuming you don't do multitexturing/lightmapping. Personally, I'd try the .X exporter first.

If you do use multitexturing, you might want to try the NuXporter by JWatte.

But this is all theory, as I don't have any personal experience exporting to 3DS Max. Let's wait and see what people with hands-on experience have to say.
Nickz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I did download the Collada importer for Max and I'm glad to say that it did work. However, I just noticed two problems that came up before that step, by using the Map Importer.

1. When importing a .map (for example a building), it seems that the building structure as well as the textures become mirrored! Not sure what's causing this but I tried a few and they all become mirrored as soon as I import the .map file.

2. Does the Map Importer support .png textures? I get unsupported texture format error messages.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Nick

Last edited by Nickz on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming the collada path works!

The .MAP importer is still in beta (note the b at the end of 0.85b), so I wouldn't plan on using it for production work yet. That said, thanks a lot for reporting those 2 issues. Yes, it's entirely possible that the geometry and textures gets mirrored, I'll look into it and get it fixed, as well as the 'unsupported texture' thing. It's about time I get a new version of the importer out the door.

If you have a .MAP file with textures that doesn't load properly, any chance of me convincing you to send it to me (paul [at] delgine [dot] com)? I've had to develop the importer using an extremely small set of textured test files, so I'll be most grateful for any extra maps I can get my hand on. Also, if you can tell me on what axis things are mirrored (or provide me with a this-is-what-it-is-supposed-to-look-like screenshot) that would be great! (If not, I'll still figure it out, it just might take me a little bit longer).
Nickz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul,

I'm sending a couple of maps your way. Thanks for checking it out. Smile

Nick
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the recommendation for trying the Collada path. It's a modern file format with pretty high-level support from a variety of players, as opposed to OBJ (mostly obsolete) and X (mostly obsolete).
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on your playing field. When playing with the big boys, sure, collada all the way. If on the other hand you stick with budget tools and engines, like many indie game developers do, I can't say I agree. Collada support is really bad in most cases (Blender being the notable exception).
Nickz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, did you receive my email? Thanks
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got both maps just fine, thanks a lot for sending them!

I can perfectly reproduce the mirroring problem, and I already did something about the 'unsupported texture format' message... but somehow DeleD doesn't seem to like those PNG's. Strange but interesting...

[update]Turns out those .PNG's were interlaced, and DeleD doesn't like that. Fixed in DeleD 1.71 and above.[/update]
Nickz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, thanks for checking it out! So how can I find 1.71? The version on the download page is 1.7. Is the mirroring problem fixed in the update as well? Thanks!

Nick
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1.71 will be out soon - it's in beta right now. Wink
Nickz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirroring problem will be fixed in the .MAP importer update, somewhere this week. So to re-iterate:
- geometry mirroring and unsupported texture problem: fixed in the .MAP importer update.
- PNG not being displayed properly inside DeleD (random colored dots): fixed in the DeleD update.
Nickz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! Thanks for your quick response...

Nick
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just released a new version of the MAP importer, catch the news here: http://www.delgine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2539

One thing I didn't realize before, is that you are probably running DeleD LITE. The MAP importer imports the scene with the .PNG files just fine, it's DeleD that refuses to load the file. The new DeleD 1.71 (currently in non-public beta) has no problems with that (it just displays a warning and replaces the unsupported .PNG with dummy color materials), while DeleD 1.70 completely refuses to load the scene when it contains unsupported elements.

Anyway, if you want to import those scenes into DeleD LITE you'd best pull those .PNG's through an image converter before importing, converting them to .JPG or .BMP. Hope that helps!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: