Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first plugins progress

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: My first plugins progress Reply with quote

I wasn't going to post anything about these until i had them fully working.
But seeing as i have now mentioned one in another thread ( sorry elementrix for messing your thread.But i just wanted it known that i was working on that plugin, so nobody wasted time making one while i was. But then again maybe someone else would make one faster and better so, maybe if anyone wants to they shouldn't stop).

Mathematical Shapes and Surfaces Plugin.

I started work on this first one a while back. Being new to Delphi and Xml it is taking a while,while i learn my way around. Plus it seems to have gone far to comlicated from what i at first envisioned it to be. Here is a image of the input screen. Still needs work most of functions are working for surfaces but not shapes yet.Importing to Deled is still not working correctly either so i can't show what they will look like.The Deled overall size input is wrong at moment and will not be like that in working version.

Noise distortion Plugin.

Then i got a idea to make a lot simpler one. Started working on that too. I am just working out the normal distorion at moment. Code for axis distortion seems to be working ok. Again Import into deled not working Yet. Here is a shot of this ones interface which is still very rough.

Any ideas/thoughts on the interfaces and layouts are most welcome.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks quite promising Very Happy I'm looking forward to the release.

It's a pity that you can't access subselection for plugins, this would make the noise plugin a lot more flexible. You don't always want to noise an entire object!
fik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr.Fletcher.
Yes i would like to see that too in the future. Would be nice if and when time was found to add that to plugins, it returned a list of faces or vertexes in the order they where selected. Now then you could see some plugin possiblitys. Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more people I see requesting that, the sooner I'll implement it.

It seems to me that there are only a very few people out there actually creating plugins (like, JWatte, fik, Mr Fletcher and II Buzzo... I cannot think of anybody else right now). It is quite possible that more people would be creating plugins if selections of subitems are made available but I'd like to be a little more sure of that before spending time implementing that feature. I have a serious lack of time available these days so I want to know absolutely sure I'm reaching a fair amount of people when implementing some feature.

In the mean time, keep up the good work fik (and all other plugin builders out there)!
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
It seems to me that there are only a very few people out there actually creating plugins (like, JWatte, fik, Mr Fletcher and II Buzzo... I cannot think of anybody else right now). It is quite possible that more people would be creating plugins if selections of subitems are made available but I'd like to be a little more sure of that before spending time implementing that feature. I have a serious lack of time available these days so I want to know absolutely sure I'm reaching a fair amount of people when implementing some feature.

Yeah but you have to keep in mind that it's natural that the amount of people creating plugins is very low. Of course, a feature like the access to sub selection for plugins wouldn't directly adress as many people as a feature that serves the user more than the developer. However, the more and better plugins are developed, the more people will actually profit from it, so I wouldn't say implementing this is not worth the effort.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[qoute]The more people I see requesting that, the sooner I'll implement it. [/quote]

If you have little time, then your top priority should be to make it possible (and easy) to create great plug-ins.

The reason is that, when people can create good plug-ins, the value of DeleD can increase even if you spend 0 time on it. Sure, there might only be a few of us right now -- but even a few of us outnumber a single you :-) And these things tend to grow slowly but steadily.

The second benefit would be that you can create your own features as plug-ins instead of building them into DeleD. That makes debugging simpler, and keeps the project clearly delineated, which is never a bad thing!
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatte wrote:

If you have little time, then your top priority should be to make it possible (and easy) to create great plug-ins.

The reason is that, when people can create good plug-ins, the value of DeleD can increase even if you spend 0 time on it. Sure, there might only be a few of us right now -- but even a few of us outnumber a single you Smile And these things tend to grow slowly but steadily.

The second benefit would be that you can create your own features as plug-ins instead of building them into DeleD. That makes debugging simpler, and keeps the project clearly delineated, which is never a bad thing!

Sorry to hack your thread fik, but anyway... Wink

I can certainly understand these motivations and they will be the reasons for me to enhance the plugin system when I do. But... is the inability to work with selections the only reason people, like yourself, don't create that many plugins up to now?
fik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok Jeron. I to add my request too Very Happy . My view for what it's worth, not having actually fully made a plugin yet. Is as it stands apart from file conversions, it is servely limiting what plugins could be made and how usefull they could be with no access to subselections.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the inability to work with selections the only reason people, like yourself, don't create that many plugins up to now?

Certainly time is a big part of it, too.

But, when I saw the tunnel tutorial, I felt like creating a plug-in that would randomize the selected vertices (great for smooth floors with jaggy ceilings), but then remembered I couldn't.

The other thing I need to do is add support for writing scene data back from my current framework; right now it makes taking data out really simple, but there's no support for going the other way.

Once that's done, writing plug-ins should become a lot simpler!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: