Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Plug-in: Levelwalker -- now with Collision!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: New Plug-in: Levelwalker -- now with Collision! Reply with quote

Edit: version 2007-09-24c is updated with much better performance, and easier to walk.

You can get the plug-in ZIP file for LevelWalker at http://code.google.com/p/levelwalker/ -- or get the source code, and build it yourself!

Un-zip the levelwalker.dll file into the plugins folder in the DeleD / DeleD Pro folder. Load your favorite level. Choose Levelwaler Plug-in. Tell it how big you are. Have fun!

Movement keys:

WASD -- forward/back/left/right
EC -- ascend/descend
FG -- turn off/on gravity
space -- jump (if in contact with ground)
mouse -- look around

The controls have bee updated in version 2007-09-24c.

I've tested it with the castlesiege model and the lm5 large German castle. Get it while it's hot!

Last edited by jwatte on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get it started, it doesn't show up in the plugin drop down menu. I have everything placed at the right location (levelwalker.dll in \plugins\, everything else in \DeleD PRO\). I tried removing the .dll, then restarting DeleD and placing it there again after that, but it doesn't make a difference. If I place the DevIL dlls in the plugins folder, I get those messages in the plugin log:
Quote:
24.09.2007 11:10:02: DevIL.dll: no Plugin Version property.
24.09.2007 11:10:02: ILU.dll: no Plugin Version property.
24.09.2007 11:10:02: ILUT.dll: no Plugin Version property.

But never is there anything said about the levelwalker.dll. Sad
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. Do you have a copy of depends.exe (from the MS visual studio or platform SDK)? If so, can you open levelwalker.dll and say which DLLs it complains about?

Btw: the right place for the other DLLs is in DeleD Pro folder, only the plugin goes into plugins.
Andreas233223

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thing (only the control could be better)
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatte wrote:
That's unfortunate. Do you have a copy of depends.exe (from the MS visual studio or platform SDK)? If so, can you open levelwalker.dll and say which DLLs it complains about?

Nope, I did a search for that on my \programs\ folder and it didn't find anything.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The DLL links against MSVCP80 and MSVCR80. Try downloading the VS2005 runtime, and see if it's any better.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yep, that did it Very Happy

Some things I've noticed:
- Materials with colors only are displayed white instead of that color
- The player will spawn in the scene centre, right? But it doesn't check if there actually is any geometry. I keep falling down next to the scene.
- When started, it's incredibly laggy, I have like 10 fps but once I press a movement key, it's fine again.
- wanted to try it on Burg Eltz, but the plugin knocked out my entire system for about 3 minutes. Also, there were like 5 frames per minute. Won't. Try. It. Again.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if people don't have to download the VS2005 runtime, this stuff would be very nice to have available on the Delgine website too. What do you think, JWatte?
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you can see on the Project Wiki, removing the need for vcredist is on the future features list. If I ever have any more time to work on it...

As is starting somewhere other than in the center, and turning on/off gravity and collision, btw.

Currently, rendering is somewhat simplistic. Each material is gathered into a separate display list for that material, and the display lists are all drawn (thus, no frustum culling). Also, collision builds a big collision mesh of all the triangles and hands to the collision system, which is OPCODE taken from ODE.

If you have scenes that don't perform well, I'd be interested in knowing whether it's graphics or collision. If you can make the scene available for testing, I could take VTune or similar to it and see if anything can be done.
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im getting a nasty little error window saying:

"Access Violation at address 100081B1 in module 'levelwalker.dll'. Read of address 00000000."
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatte wrote:
If you have scenes that don't perform well, I'd be interested in knowing whether it's graphics or collision. If you can make the scene available for testing, I could take VTune or similar to it and see if anything can be done.

You can find one here, it's the one I wanted to test it on. Maybe you need to lightmap it to see the full impact.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:
Im getting a nasty little error window saying:

"Access Violation at address 100081B1 in module 'levelwalker.dll'. Read of address 00000000."

Hmm. That's probably some missing OpenGL extension.

What OS version are you using? What graphics card? What graphics card driver version?
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lm5 works just fine for me (although it complains about a few missing textures, it looks fine). That wasn't light mapped. Light mapping it took a while, though :-)

Curiously, when I'm hovering still in the air, I get low frame rate (5-10 fps), but when I'm moving or standing still on the ground, it's fine.

After lightmapping, it seems to go crazy on VM for some reason. I'll look into that.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, once it's loaded the machine for 3 minutes, and I've started moving, it runs pretty smoothly, even with light mapping. I think it might be some interaction with the NVIDIA graphics driver, perhaps only happening because DeleD is running in the same process. Quite curious.

I might add some status information while loading, in the big window, to track down where the time is being spent.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have avoided the huge memory hit on start-up on that scene now. Thanks for the demo scene! It works much better now.

It turns out that just calling glBindTexture(i) while recording a display list will use lots of memory -- I think it may be copying the actual texture image, rather than just the logical reference. In my opinion, it ought to not copy the texture image data, unless it sees a call to glTexImage2D() or friends.

Anyway, that's taken care of. Next on the list is probably making movement a little better (including being able to walk up stairs without jumping). That, and why it's so slow while hovering in space.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: