Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REQ: Freeworld3d importer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warcrest
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: REQ: Freeworld3d importer Reply with quote

'Cause you can't create levels in Freeworld3d and Deled considers wiggling a few vertices landscape generation.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two concerns over this request:

1. According to the FreeWorld3D specification, it is a world editor supporting the import of many mesh file formats, so are your sure the workflow shouldn't be the other way around? As in, you create your meshes in DeleD, then create your world in FreeWorld3D, place your models, and export it from there?

2. Doesn't FreeWorld3D export massive terrains? DeleD 3D is a low-med polygon editor, loading a couple billion of terrain data vertices won't really work...

I haven't got any in-depth knowledge about FreeWorld3D, so if both concerns are non-issues please say so!
warcrest
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a world editor, no.(Although they say it is.) It's a terrain generator with object placement capabilities, supporting a few formats for importing.

It supports terrain resolutions up to 2048x2048, but as small as 32x32. OK, 2048x2048 is massive.

It can export to Ogre.

Right now my current pipeline consists of l3dt -> freeworld3d(using the heightmap and base textures). Once modified with freeworld -> Max(using the heightmap) to delete any unsuspecting polys to make way for outdoor to indoor transitions.

Everything uses the heightmap.
Can I change this request to have DeleD support heightmaps?[/i]
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feature page says it can do .3ds, ,obj, and .x. All formats DeleD can already import.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can only import those file formats so you can place those meshes on the terrain. The only thing it exports to is a generic ascii or xml(which only points to the heightmap and textures used) and ogre.

I wanna load a terrain and build my levels on/in it.

I know, that's why people have a dozen different programs, 'cause this one doesn't do that and that one doesn't do this. Wouldn't it be nice to have one program that does it all?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warcrest wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to have one program that does it all?
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5659302&siteID=123112
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Daaark, I tried that once and it doesn't manage my e-mail, nor does it do version management for my design documents. I mean, "do it all" really means "do it all", right? Smile
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it all!
warcrest
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe. Well, Daaark, that would be nice, but for only a few bucks more, I could buy a small country, which is what I'm really saving up for.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't bashin' anything, it's just hard to find something that allows me to work the way I envision the work being done. In this case, literally from the virtual ground up(or down).
Generate a terrain, cut it up into manageable pieces, build my levels on(or in) those sections and place my entities/detail meshes/waypoints/triggers. Then all I have to do is call each section in code when the character object trips the right triggers and Poof! there it is.

Terrain generators don't allow for deleting faces for those outdoor to indoor transitions, which is why I need to import it into a mesh editor. Yeah, I could put doors which trigger the engine to load the next piece, but that detracts from a game imo. I'm going for something like Dungeon Siege that loads sections as the character nears them without having to stop and watch a loading screen.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: