Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Blend

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Microsoft Blend Reply with quote

As a Microsoft Gold Certificate i'm getting always Newsletter about new Microsoft Products. Today i had this eMail in my Inbox:

Code:

Microsoft Blend - Unleash Your Creativity

Expression Blend Trial Software Available
Developers: A free, trial version of Microsoft Expression Blend Beta helps you get acquainted with our latest professional design tool. Explore innovative features--including 2-D and 3-D graphics, animation, dynamic layout, and data binding. Then provide feedback to help us further refine the platform to meet your development needs. In the meantime, use your early knowledge of the technology to gain a competitive edge and prepare to develop sophisticated, next-gen apps and deliver rich user experiences.

To Download the 60-Day (free) Trial klick Here.

Maybe someones likes it ; )
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for sharing!

From the download pages, looks like I need .Net 3.0 and Visual Studio Express.. that's pretty steep! I am pretty sure it will work without Visual Studio, but that does suggest the "data binding" part is pretty important.

Can someone please tell me what this tool actually is all about? Is this Microsoft's attempt to revive the GMax concept? Is it an awesome modeler geared towards the XNA community? Is this Microsoft's "Google Sketchup"? Some inside information and feedback from people who actually try this stuff out would be great... ! Very Happy
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Can someone please tell me what this tool actually is all about?

Will test it this week when i've got some time.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat like Macromedia Flash, or possibly Shockwave. You produce interactive content that can be delivered on the web. If you're to use 3D, models need to be imported from elsewhere.
RichElswick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, a lot like Flash. Targetted directly at Flash you might even call it Microsoft's Flash killer.

Of course penetration matters. There is a lot more to it than that of course.

You need VS as an editor for the back end, if you decide to do some custom coding and things not done in the Blend design IDE. So, C# is to Blend as Actionscript is to Flash. Of course, the advantage there is that with C# you get the full gamut of .NET objects and such. Blend can create stand alone apps or Silverlight apps. Data connections with it is supposed to be one of the strong points, but I have yet to start working with that aspect.

One possible advantage is that you can take an existing .NET app, which is using WPF and 'skin' the app to look better, but I am not sure about that yet.

Lots of movement out there on this and one area it is looking to be an excellent match is for streaming video.

Also take a search on www.codeproject.com as there was a recent Flash / Silverlight comparison done there by someone.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, it's related to Silverlight! I was so put on the wrong foot by that marking speak in the initial post...

Thanks a lot for the information, guys. I personally kinda prefer C# to actionscript, so I might actually give it a shot at some point.

JWatte: Any idea what 3DS file formats are supported? Is there any need/room for specific support from DeleD? Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: