Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Level, houses and stuffs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravine
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Level, houses and stuffs Reply with quote

My first post was about a bug. But that would be unfair to post only for the bad things, and not thanks the devs for the great work on Deled and for their reactivity.

So, i want to share with you the good things i made with it.

I work (alone) on a project called "Squads" (working title), which is basically a Turn Based Tactical (see FF Tactics, or Jagged Alliance for examples). First, i was planning to develop a tool, to allow people to handle level parts, houses, roads, whatever, made in Deled, like Lego bricks. The final goal was to provide an easy way to create levels for Squads. But, because of lack of time til deadline (fixed as March 08 ), i dropped that part, dropped the "full story with ultrazillions of maps" part of the dev to focus on a single demo, with maybe 1 or 2 levels.

Saturday, i was bored, and i thought it was a good idea to work on a level for test purposes (and to build stuffs around). I've completed a level that i'm currently using in my beyond-alpha game. So i think it's a good moment to show you what i've done so far with Deled

Here are the results (the link redirect to a folder with more screens)

<Warning> : it's programmer art Smile

Arrow First of all, sort of wood/mud house (will be used on an "arabic" map. If i have enough time and art to complete it Smile )

Arrow A spin off of my first house made on Deled Pro. A house where players team would be able to take cover

Arrow A Warehouse (ok, looks like a barn in a farm). I wanted to do a bigger building than the others. It's quite empty right now, but with some crates and tables, it'll looks great i think.

Arrow The "final" level i made that saturday. I'm quite satisfied with the lights, but i still have to struggle with intensity, range.. all those parameters which leads to nice and soft shadows like eonblue's.

like i said in the bug-thread, i work with the rendering engine irrlicht, in its .Net C# version. I load the dxs files with a loader i wrote, based on ilbuzzo's DXSLoader for the C++ version. There're 4 screens of the level rendered in irrlicht (DX9). Dont pay attention to the fps. The real values are more like 350 fps / 1800 polys, on my Athlon XP 2700+// 1GB RAM// 6600GT.

I have to say that i really like Deled. One of the main reason i choose it was its cost (not too expensive for a student like me Smile ), its irrlicht loader (already done by ilbuzzo, the DMF loader Smile ), and its developpers reactivity and their will to listen their community. Thanks a lot for that nice soft.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, finally a non-MMORPG project. Hope you'll link us to the demo when it's done Wink
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shots look really good. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Ravine
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe thanks for the "non-MMO" thing Smile

And yes, sure, i'll link the demo when it'll be done. It depends greatly on what i want to do with it after, but i think i'll release the functionnal demo with an open source licence (the "do what you want"-type of licence).

That's a personnal project, mostly done (so far) to put on my CV, and to prove myself i can perform alone such project.

As you can see in the level folder, the game "so far" is only rendering the level, with a skybox. Of course, there is a lot more behind the curtain (all the game entities are coded and partially tested. The level structure (mesh + data) is currently WIP. Still a lot of work, but i've reached a point where i feel proud of what i've done.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravine wrote:
i've reached a point where i feel proud of what i've done.

You should be. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravine wrote:
That's a personnal project, mostly done (so far) to put on my CV, and to prove myself i can perform alone such project.

I think it's more important to show that you're able to work as a team together on such a project, even if you could do it by yourself though Smile
Ravine
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Fletcher wrote:
Ravine wrote:

I think it's more important to show that you're able to work as a team together on such a project, even if you could do it by yourself though Smile

hehe true true. There are many reason why i decided to work alone. I didnt want to put pressure on people, and i have to admit, since it's my first "serious" project, i didnt want to rely on others (yeah, confidence problem. Bad bad...). And i didnt want to make others in the same situation (them, waiting for me to motivate for example).

And i didnt know where i was going. Now i have a good idea on how to plan stuffs, how to manage the prod. I have tools running (source control, soon i'll setup the bug tracker). I earned personnal experience and self-confidence.

That project is more a test for myself, and for schools (yeah, i was talking about CV, but for schools). Next year, i will work in a team Smile
andy_mc
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Lone worker here too Reply with quote

I've just started work on a real time RTS / third person shooter. I'm doing it all by myself as a big project for me to showcase to people. So I'm looking to do all the graphics, sound and programming. Maybe will work with other people on my next project.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: