Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tutorial contest for deled?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  

a deled tutorial contest?
yes
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
no
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

pirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: tutorial contest for deled? Reply with quote

i was just wondering if there is any interest in having a tutorial contest for deled...if something like this would interest you please post and vote yes or no in the poll...jandscreations.com is checking to see which program will be used for the next contest...thanks, pirate
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm I don't know. Anybody who wants to write a DeleD tutorial would have to know the program well so he's most likely part of the community anyway so these guys wouldn't really need a contest for writing tutorials.
Also, I don't think you can compare the quality of tutorials as good as 3D models for it often has a lot to do with the subject, how much you can write about it etc.
pirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the contest is designed to get more tutorials for beginners..my site hosts tutorials for people to learn from...there will be a prize for the winner of the contest..the tutorials will be compared by how much help they provide...even a beginner tutorial could win over an expert tutorial if it was put together in an a way that people can learn from it...i know i have ran into many tutorials that are set up terrible and there is really no way to learn from them....my site at jandscreations.com is there for one reason only..to provide help to those that need it...making games is a hard road..but if someone makes a tutorial it might be the one that you need to finish your game...sorry, i am very passionate about this and i get a little carried away when people say we don't need new tutorials...maybe they already know everything there is to know....pirate
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to excuse your passion. Also, I'm not saying we don't need more tutorials, I know we do, I'm just not so sure if a competion is the right way here.
Let's hear what the others have to say to that.

Also, I'm moving this to the tutorials section.
pirate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main reason i asked about having this contest is because i love this program...it does have a shortage of tutorials though...not many were made in 2007...
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirate wrote:
the main reason i asked about having this contest is because i love this program...it does have a shortage of tutorials though...not many were made in 2007...
At the same time, the program isn't that deep. It's just a polygon modeler at this point. Once you know all the tools and how they work, you can model anything with them.

You can't teach creativity.

Advanced things requires so much work, I often don't know where to start. Pages and pages of text and images. I was once working on a tutorial on how to make a nice room like one seen in a screenshot from a game, and how to lights it so that the sun was coming through the window, and it occured to me that I would have to write out tutorials on how to build all the objects, and then make side explanations for the people that use DeleD like a brush editor and not a polygonal modeller, and then the lightmapper had a big change in how it casts shadows from a 1 sided object. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pirate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i will take that as a no from here at delgine and check elsewhere..i still think that there is a lot you could teach a beginner in modeling besides what each tool does and their on their own...but thats just my opinion...i still will do a few tutorials in deled because i think they are needed...have a good day...pirate
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirate wrote:
ok i will take that as a no from here at delgine and check elsewhere..i still think that there is a lot you could teach a beginner in modeling besides what each tool does and their on their own...but thats just my opinion...i still will do a few tutorials in deled because i think they are needed...have a good day...pirate
Such as?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirate wrote:
ok i will take that as a no from here at delgine and check elsewhere..i still think that there is a lot you could teach a beginner in modeling besides what each tool does and their on their own

Daaark is only expressing his personal opinion. But please don't take that as an "official" Delgine remark. Wink

I think we definately need many more tutorials about DeleD. PJ and I don't have enough time to create quality tutorials though and I just don't know if a tutorial contest is the way to get more tutorials. I think we only need 2 or 3 people that can write a bunch of quality tutorials.

If you create a few tutorials for DeleD, please do let us know. We can make them available on the website, if you want! That would be great. The same goes for anybody else wanting to write good tutorials for DeleD. Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ACK, was my post up there taken out of context?

Maybe if there was a list of requested tutorial topics.
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaark wrote:
Shocked ACK, was my post up there taken out of context?

Maybe if there was a list of requested tutorial topics.

Actually, that would probably be the best idea. Have a list of requested tutorial topics, or have one of the more experience folks volunteer their time and get a poll together of "most wanted tutorial" and see what he could do.

Though, to be honest a whole contest seems silly as far as tutorials go, a collated list would be more useful.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
I think we definately need many more tutorials about DeleD. PJ and I don't have enough time to create quality tutorials though and I just don't know if a tutorial contest is the way to get more tutorials. I think we only need 2 or 3 people that can write a bunch of quality tutorials.

I will most likely write one or two tutorials once my exams are over (4 days left) and expand the wiki.

As for requested tutorials, there actually is a sticky topic here.
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two tutorials I am going too make, but They will probaply come around begin june/end may, because of my exams. the tutorials are about uv-mapping and making a simple ship
santutatu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I, actually, can't remember which was the next one I was going to make Embarassed Laughing

pirate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tutorial contest was just a way to entice people to write more tutorials...it seems that just bringing up the subject has got the job done and did not cost me money...the reason i said i would just check elsewhere is because it seems that a majority of the members here do not like the idea of a tutorial contest..we at jandscreations just finished a tutorial contest in 3d canvas...we only ended up with 5 new tutorials and there was $125 in prize money...this money all came from my pocket...i don't have any sponsers and there is just a crew of me and my wife...i just decided that i was going to make it my goal to get more tutorials for beginners in 3d modeling and programming in many different programs...i'm sorry if this idea offended anyone..i just wanted to see what kind of response i would get in the poll and hear your opinions...maybe a contest is not the best way to get more tutorials made...think back to the first time you started to model in a modeling program...were you kind of lost...if you could go back to that point knowing what you know right now...how much would you know now.....its all just about sharing knowledge and allowing newcommers to get over the humps without as much of the trial and error approach that most of us have went through...knowledge ahead of time will produce better modelers for the future...there i go rambling on again...peace, pirate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: