Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texturing (smooth transition)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moraldi
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Texturing (smooth transition) Reply with quote

Hi,
I am not an experienced 3D designer. Please take a look to the following image:

All I want to do is a smooth transition from grass texture to rock texture between the faces inside the red circle (and of course to all neighbour pairs)
Is it easy to do this using DeleD Pro?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deled doesn't do that well. 2 things I can think off.

1) Make your own transition texture. This is a common method when making terrain in a non terrain editor.

2) Try setting the vertices where the textures meet to green maybe? It will make a transition, maybe it will look good.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easy, open the grass texture in paint.net, make a gradient that fades into total transparancy, make a dubble polygon layer with a little room between the two layers where you want to fade the texture, add you faded grass texture to the top polylayer polygons, and the rock ones at the layer beneath and voila a fake fade.

(this is how I do it for my game, and it works perfectly)
(vertice texturing would fix this though.., don't know if they will add my request)
moraldi
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
make a dubble polygon layer with a little room between the two layers where you want to fade the texture

You mean by using DeleD?. How I can do this?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
its easy, open the grass texture in paint.net, make a gradient that fades into total transparancy, make a dubble polygon layer with a little room between the two layers where you want to fade the texture, add you faded grass texture to the top polylayer polygons, and the rock ones at the layer beneath and voila a fake fade.
That's kind of wasteful, with all that polygon sorting and blending for nothing, you might as well just make a new texture that blends both together.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use that method for seperate objects like trees that have gras around them and are placed randomly, but you could use daaarks method here too, it's even better in this case Wink
moraldi
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to use a terrain editor due to limited capabilities in detail texturing.
I need for example to texture different kinds of grass in certain areas. I want to make a special texture where the terrain lies beneath a water surface.
I need to draw some runways etc.
In order to display my terrain efficiently from within my graphics engine I need to break my terrain into smaller parts and load them in correct timing.
I think DeleD can help me to make such kind of terrain. Or am I wrong?
In any case thanks both for your responses.
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moraldi wrote:
I don't want to use a terrain editor due to limited capabilities in detail texturing.

Then help yourself in your game engine with Detail Textures on the Terrain if its supports that.

I'm not sure about your described way tough, never saw a system which works that way. But i think it could work - but it's not the optimal way if you do this.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blended polygons aren't going to be a waste unless they are truly large. They don't need to be sorted, because you draw them after the opaque data, so only a single polygon will blend a given pixel on the screen. You can even draw it before you draw any effects.

What most games do is render using "texture splatting," using either vertex colors or a separate splat control texture to determine materials. That generally requires a shader, which DeleD doesn't support directly. You'd have to map with the control texture in DeleD, and then make sure to render with the splat shader in your game/program.
moraldi
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
never saw a system which works that way

To be honest I don't know how I will build my terrain and I just try to find what is the best method.
Do you have played AIM or AIM 2 ?
http://www.skyriver.ru/project.phtml?p=mech1&l=en
If you take a closer look to the screen shots you will notice a very high detailed terrain
I like this very much and I really don't know how they did it.
Actually I want to make terrain such like this. Do you think that I need a specialized tool for this or DeleD is good enough?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: