Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In depth texture mapping tutorials?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizaerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: In depth texture mapping tutorials? Reply with quote

I'm a beginner to DeleD, although I used to model a long while ago using various other editors. I was playing around last night, trying to get a handle on how DeleD does some things, and ran into some texturing issues that I wasn't quite sure how to deal with.

I had read through the texturemapping "tutorial" on the Delgine site, but I still had some questions.

1) I created a torus, dropped a material on it, but didn;t like how it scaled or tiled. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to scale the image so that it tiled differently on the torus.

2) I created a cube, dropped a material on it, and couldn;t figure out how to scale or change the tiling of the material. I think I eventually found my way to face mode, which allowed me to scale and rotate the materia, but only on single face, and not even the face I had selected. I tried selecting different faces, and still the moving, scaling, and rotating of the texture happened on one consistent face.

3) On that same cube, I did an inset on the top face, then re-extruded and the material didn;t cover the new faces. Even when sleecting them, and choosing the material, none of the newly extruded faces had the texture applied. Did I miss something there?

4) How does one do bump mapping in DeleD?

That should be it for now... Thanx... Hopefully, these questions aren't too dumb... heh heh heh
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, 2) I think this is a matter of exploring the face mode and just trying the move, rotate and scale operations. Remember that you can select faces in both UV-view and 3D-view. DeleD 2.31 also allows drag-selecting Smile

3) DeleD automaticly assigns a (possibly different) material to any new polygons. After you made new polygons, you must select all the poly's of your mesh (Select object, polygon mode and Ctrl-A) and apply the same material to it. Then you will see all your faces in the UV-view together. Smile

4) This is not possible at the moment. These things are usually done in the game-engine, or another renderer.
Wizaerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronozphere wrote:
1, 2) I think this is a matter of exploring the face mode and just trying the move, rotate and scale operations. Remember that you can select faces in both UV-view and 3D-view. DeleD 2.31 also allows drag-selecting Smile

I did experiemnt or try these different options, and they worked fine on the cube (in #2), but not on the torus... I'll experiement around a bit more...

Quote:

3) DeleD automaticly assigns a (possibly different) material to any new polygons. After you made new polygons, you must select all the poly's of your mesh (Select object, polygon mode and Ctrl-A) and apply the same material to it. Then you will see all your faces in the UV-view together. Smile

I had tried this, selecting all faces/polygons, but I'll give it another whirl. In this same vein, how do I remove a texture from an object?

Quote:

4) This is not possible at the moment. These things are usually done in the game-engine, or another renderer.

No worries, easily enough accomplished in the engine I'm using, although it's not necessarily a game engine, it's iCLone from Reallusion.

Thanx again for your answers... I suppose I have more experimentation and fooling around.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did experiemnt or try these different options, and they worked fine on the cube (in #2), but not on the torus... I'll experiement around a bit more...

Texturemapping of a torus can be quite hard. The DeleD tools are not suitable for this. I am working on a plugin ( Link ) which extends DeleD's texturing functionality. I'm planning on adding planar, cylindrical and spherical texturemapping. Texturing a torus will probably remain cumbersome though.

Quote:
I had tried this, selecting all faces/polygons, but I'll give it another whirl. In this same vein, how do I remove a texture from an object?

Well, objects and polygons always need a material. Materials can have either colors or textures. My suggestion would be that you create a material with a certain color, and use that. Smile

Quote:

Thanx again for your answers... I suppose I have more experimentation and fooling around.

No problem. Haha... That's indeed the best way to learn these things. Smile
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to knock Deled but if you really want good UV mapping program (like the kind that will map a torus) then I would recommend Unwrap 3d. All Unrwap 3d does is UV mapping, and it is very good at it. It is relatively inexpensive as well.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use Adobe Atmospheres Builder programme?

It had a texturing function called Projection. You could adjust the 'Projection' angle for akward shapes like Torus and meshes in realtime, even use scripting to adjust on the fly. This was cool for some special effects like water or something similar to the trapeziam text in the opening narrative in the Star Wars movies.. In a galaxy long time ago...... Its primary function was for simulating reflective and curved shiny surfaces. I suspect it is similar to Planar, just under a different name, albeit it was more flexible.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: