Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Announcement: DeleD goes Open Source!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Announcement: DeleD goes Open Source! Reply with quote

For some time now, the development of DeleD has been progressing at a much slower speed then we would like. There is ever more stuff to do, and less and less time to do it in. However, we see DeleD as a promise and we want it to live up to it. So... we decided to stand up to the facts and do something about it: starting January 15 2010, DeleD is going Open Source!

Yes, that's right: we are taking the Open Source route. This is not something we decided overnight. It might the most daring move we ever pulled in the history of DeleD. If done right, Open Source applications can thrive like no other software can. But if left unattended, Open Source projects die. Of course, we hope to see DeleD become even bigger and better when lots of other people can contribute to it.

Here are the details of our plans:
    - DeleD PRO will be sold up to december 31st to anyone that cannot wait until january 15th. After that, it'll cease to exist. PRO features will be merged with LITE into a new, open sourced DeleD CE (which stands for Community Edition).
    - The forum will remain the base of the DeleD community, and will be extended with shiny new developer sections. We will, of course, continue to be frequent visitors of the forum.
    - The sourcecode will be hosted on SourceForge. It might not be the best host, but it definitely has the most developers on it.
    - Sourcecode of plugins will also be open sourced, including the Torque Export plugin.
    - The website will be reduced to a simple front page with links to the forums, the wiki and the gallery, as well as quick access to downloads.
    - Jeroen and Paul-Jan will continue to contribute to the project, but hopefully won't need to be in charge.

This means that DeleD needs you guys more than ever:
    - The first thing we need is programmers, and a lot of them. So if you are a developer, want to become a developer, or know where to find developers: here is your chance!
    - But we need more than just programmers, we need people to manage stuff. Managing and moderating the issue tracker, managing release candidates and releases, checking aspiring contributors, answering community questions, etc. There is a lot of management involved, and we need trusted people to take care of things. And in you guys we trust.
    - And as the number of developers grows there will be need for testers. Loads of testers.

So, what do you think? Would you join us in this adventure?
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow didn't see this coming. This is very interesting.

Pity I don't know/use delphi, though this may be an incentive.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Starnick on this one. This is a shocker.
What I don't understand here is why? This is a big bold step. I'll be here tho. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:
What I don't understand here is why? This is a big bold step. I'll be here tho. Smile

The one big reason for us is lack of time. Both PJ and I (as main developers) don't have enough time to spend on DeleD due to our dayjobs etc. DeleD is a popular piece of software and lots of users come up with feature requests and bug reports. With making DeleD open source, we hope other developers will step up and help us enhancing DeleD. Smile
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any consideration on porting DeleD to a different language?
fik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is a big suprise, what with all the work you have put in lately in 2.x.
As long as the code can be used in turbo Delphi I would love to help with the programming side when this happens.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:

Yes, at least once or twice a year it crossed our minds. But DeleD is waaaay to big to "just" port it. Besides that, although not as popular as some languages such as C# or VB.MET, Pascal is a widely used programming language. We have a lot of confidence in finding programmers to help us. Smile
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Starnick wrote:

Yes, at least once or twice a year it crossed our minds. But DeleD is waaaay to big to "just" port it. Besides that, although not as popular as some languages such as C# or VB.NET, Pascal is a widely used programming language. We have a lot of confidence in finding programmers to help us. Smile

Yeah, large rewrites remind me of Ogre3D->Axiom (or heck ogre4j). Although a C# version would rock (I'm currently loving working with the language on a recent large project).

Of course, anyone could take initiative and do a branch of deled if this is going to be open source...

What sort of license are you guys going to release DeleD under anyways?
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaark wrote:
Shocked Why was my post deleted? There was nothing negative or inflammatory in it!

Maybe because it was a bit pessimistic? heh.

I do have some doubt though, how many delphi/pascal programmers are there on these forums anyways? I don't think the programmer population here is that big to begin with. I also don't think you're going to attract a lot of proficient delphi programmers just by releasing deled open source, if they were interested in deled, they'd already be here.

This is an especially big concern if jeroen and paul aren't going to be all that much active anymore.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:
I do have some doubt though, how many delphi/pascal programmers are there on these forums anyways? I don't think the programmer population here is that big to begin with. I also don't think you're going to attract a lot of proficient delphi programmers just by releasing deled open source, if they were interested in deled, they'd already be here.

This is an especially big concern if jeroen and paul aren't going to be all that much active anymore.

There's a difference between searching for programmers wanting to work on a product of which they will have all sources and searching for programmers that would work on plugins for that product, which is the current situation with DeleD. Smile I for one don't write plugins for other applications but can imagine myself looking into the sourcecode of those applications. Therefor, I think DeleD's sourcecode will attract programmers.

We will be looking into getting DeleD to compile on different pascal compilers. More info on that will follow. Rest assured, we will do our utter best to make DeleD's open source adventure a succes!
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you that, that's certainly true.

Still worries me - the java engine I use a lot, jmonkey, recently went through a shift in the "big wig" main developers. The two movers and shakers have gone onto bigger and better things, which left jmonkey in a pretty grim spot for a while. Things picked up, but it's still fragile. Even now, you only have maybe a handful of developers picking up the slack.

Though, I'd say most java programmers out there aren't exactly 3D graphics-oriented to begin with. I wouldn't want that to happen to DeleD...
raspes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realmente es una gran iniciativa, y me uno al equipo ya sea como tester, programador...ahm ahi me pegan, o tambien como asesor en la parte de diseño gráfico en lo que tenga que ver con diseño de interfaces. Una gran iniciativa

translation from freetranslation.com wrote:
Really it is a great initiative, and me one to the team whether as tester, programmer. ..ahm ahi hit me, or tambien like the advisor in the area of graphic design in which have to do with design of interfaces. A great initiative
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. Smile

I'll probably be one of the programmers that will work on DeleD. Developing robust and efficient graphics algorithm's (like CSG, texture-mapping etc) has always been on my developers wish-list. DeleD allready offers a nice enviroment for this kind of code to be implemented, so I can't wait... Very Happy

Furthermore, I can assist with bugfixing and support but I also need Jeroen en PJ to help me because they are more familiar with the code. Rolling Eyes

What are you guys going to do before the 15th of January? Any chance you have some nice documentation ready by then?

@Daaark: I think it's better to release the source if you don't have enough time for development, than keeping everything closed and let DeleD die a slow death. I also think that there aren't alot of pascal-programmers in this community, but a few might be enough for now. Smile
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I understand correctly Delgine was written in Pascal?! Can I use C++ to write plugins or does everything have to be in that language?
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeleD was written in Delphi, hence Del_eD. You still can use another language to write plugins.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: