Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking support for old style tags/properties

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Breaking support for old style tags/properties Reply with quote

Chronoszphere submitted a patch that will introduce an explicit key-value separator in the tags, instead of the "space" we currently use. In other words, it will allow spaces in ke/value pairs.

This is great, but will potentially break:
a) creating properties out of tags in scenes from older DeleD versions in the DeleD interface.
b) exporter plugins doing the same thing.

I know the only plugin affected by (b) is the Torque exporter, but I don't know about (a). Are people using this much in their scenes currently?

The DeleD policy for backwards compatibility is "when it's important, for as long as it's necessary". So gentlemen, your opinions please.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could delay this patch for a month or so, to let every plugin developer update their programs. Smile

Quote:

Chronoszphere

It's Chronozphere with a Z. *no worries* Wink
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking support for old style tags/properties Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Chronoszphere submitted a patch that will introduce an explicit key-value separator in the tags, instead of the "space" we currently use. In other words, it will allow spaces in ke/value pairs.

This is great, but will potentially break:
a) creating properties out of tags in scenes from older DeleD versions in the DeleD interface.
b) exporter plugins doing the same thing.

I know the only plugin affected by (b) is the Torque exporter, but I don't know about (a). Are people using this much in their scenes currently?

The DeleD policy for backwards compatibility is "when it's important, for as long as it's necessary". So gentlemen, your opinions please.

Can you give an example of this type of change?

I'm not completely sure what you mean to be honest! LOL

cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that has changed is that names and values inside a "tags" section are now separated by an "=" and that name-value-pairs are separated by ";". Before this patch, names and values were separated by " " and the pairs were separated by "|".

This has some implications on the plugins as some may rely on tags. After this patch, some of them may not work because they parse the tags using the old separators. Smile
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronozphere wrote:
The thing that has changed is that names and values inside a "tags" section are now separated by an "=" and that name-value-pairs are separated by ";". Before this patch, names and values were separated by " " and the pairs were separated by "|".

This has some implications on the plugins as some may rely on tags. After this patch, some of them may not work because they parse the tags using the old separators. Smile

ok, thanks...that is clear enough Smile

cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the tags in the torque exporter in ages. The only thing I remember it was used for were portals. (which can be added inside torque now from within the editor)
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NashaUV does not rely on tags.

However, the plugins for my Tuberunner game do. But I can easily update these. Smile
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]It's Chronozphere with a Z[/quoe]

Ah yeah I blame my left hand Embarassed.

I like your suggestion of delaying it for a month. We'll announce it at some proper place.
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably better to have a "=" seperating the key and value. But please lets discuss the tag seperating symbol. I find both ";" and "|" not ideal, they both break the possibility to use scripting in tags.

For example this tag:
OnReady=function(in){g_Ready=1;}

Or this:
OnStateClose=function(in){g_State|=CLOSE;}

Maybe a more exotic symbol may fit better. I can only think of "@" for now. Or maybe two symbols like "@@".
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to include scripting in tags, I suggest you use some kind of character escaping scheme. A scripting language "might" also use @ or @@.

We should discuss this separating character indeed. Maybe make it customizable. Smile
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scripting language might use any existing character but i know no existing language that use the "@" symbol, thats why i suggested it. It its used by javadoc but that is extremly unlikely to be used in the tags.

Using escape sequences in the value is the thing that should be avoided and it does not work anyway.

A customizable symbol isnt a good style and it must be a scene property then. Using a fixed character sequence for the tag delimiter is the way to go in my opinion. Wink
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

it must be a scene property then

Good point! If it's ever made customizable, it must be a scene property. Smile

We could also fit the tags in an XML name-value kind of structure, but that'd become very bloated. Confused
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: