Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a Chamfer (Edge Bevel) function?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
This looks very good Very Happy I like what you are doing here, excellent work.

Are you planning:
1) To allow the user to set the amount of faces produced, say from 1-Many, via a entry control window? This will allow repeatable functions over many differently sized objects.
2) Singular face planes, to have a angle set box, so you could say add a splay at 45, or 30 etc.. degrees?
3) To add this as a new feature as opposed to taking over the Bevel function, which some may still use (including myself)?

4. How will this function deal with corners when a bevel/splay is applied to an intersecting edge(s)? (Say a rounded edge intersecting with a splayed edge).

Thanks, I'm glad you like what you see. Smile As for planning:

1 & 2: No plans in that area just yet. First I would like to make this tool more robust and have it handle selected adjacent edges + situations in which more than 3 edges come together at an endpoint of a selected edge. These issues are challenges on their own, really, from a developers point of view anyway, because I find it difficult to come up with a solution that handles any kind of geometric situation you can think of... That's why the current implementation is rather limited. Limited, but still very useful, from a creators point of view, so that's why I decided to go ahead and code this particular implementation.

3: Note that this is the Edge Bevel tool. The existing Vertex Bevel tool is untouched and you can use it when you need it. Just go to vertex mode and select Bevel, that's all. Smile

4: I think that's the same issue as I mentioned when answering 2. I'd like to solve that one for sure.

I do have very limited time on my hands atm, so can't make promises as to when things will be done. But I find this tool to be challenging and I like to develop it further for sure. Smile

chronozphere wrote:
I was allready wondering how long it'd take before you started adding functinoality again. Good to hear that you're on it.

Yeah, I'm facing some rough times in my personal life right now so I have to set some priorities. Rest assured that I'm visiting the forums multiple times each day. I just can't code that much right now.

Grandmaster B wrote:
Excellent Jeroen, please put it in the next beta version, even if its not perfect!

Will do! I would like to add a little more to the code before committing it, but will do so before 2.43 is out. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one, am glad you could take the time to create this tool, it will save me a lot of time. Even in its current stage of development its a boon.

I hope your personal life settles down.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on the Edge Bevel tool this weekend. Decided to throw away its implementation in favor of a better method. It uses a method similar to the Doo-Sabin subdivision tool.

Took me quite some time to get right, but it can now fill up areas which it previously didn't (see a previous post in this topic). This is what it can do now:

- I started with AWM Mars' initial example, with 4 edges selected:

- After one Edge Bevel action, it looks like:

- Perform it again:

- And optimized viewed from the top:

Here's another example that shows what it does now:

- Start with a cylinder. Notice that the selected edge has an end-point at which multiple other edges come together:

- Edge Bevel once. Notice that that end-point is transformed into a new polygon too.

I'm fairly happy with the current implementation. Still no support for selected adjacent edges but I'm sure this implementation will help a lot. Smile

P.s watch a little movie about Edge Bevel on Delgine's YouTube channel. Wink
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the direction this is going in.. I have no idea of the workload involved, but guess its a big task. It's going to be a good addition to the programme, making it a great programme Very Happy

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: