Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vertex Insert tool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Vertex Insert tool Reply with quote

I've made a slight but very useful improvement to the Vertex Insert tool. As you might know, you can place vertices anywhere in your model using that tool. Now, you can optionally choose to connect the new vertex with the last select vertex. Note: connecting vertices can only be done if both vertices are part of the same polygon.

This change allows you to add more geometric detail easily anywhere in your model. Check the YouTube channel for a short video. Smile

I committed the changes to SourceForge. Note: this commit conflicted with some other changes. I solved the conflicts but just to be on the safe side, can a developer check?
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting tool. It will make making models using images much easier.
My only question is....

Can you make a loop? IE: In the movie, you made a "sorta" circle. Can you connect the last vert you placed with the first?
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already seeing how using this could speed up model making. Having the ability to have it link up to the first vertice or not, would be useful (it simply cuts out a manual task of connecting 2 vertices, no biggie). Either way, another great tool added to an already great programme.. WTG guys.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Very Happy

It would be even better if the tool would allow you to close the circle you make in the movie. It should detect whether you click an existing vertex and just connect it to the previous one.

It would be a good alternative to some CSG routines. I rarely use CSG because it tends to add loads of poly's to your geometry. This tool provides a nice controlled way to do the same thing. Smile

Speaking of CSG: I could try to improve it in the future. I'll make a tracker item right now.

Quote:

I committed the changes to SourceForge. Note: this commit conflicted with some other changes. I solved the conflicts but just to be on the safe side, can a developer check?

When I updated my working copy, only DeleD.cfg was conflicted, but that file is not very important because its contents will be overwritten by delphi. Smile

P.S: What kind of video recording software do you use?

Last edited by chronozphere on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the CSG routines are a quick way of doing things at basic modeling, simply because at that level its relatively easy to clean up some of the additional fragments it introduces and optimise can't cope with.

The subtract is unpredictable whether it works, or simply deletes the model you are subtracting from.

Optimising can make a single edge, spawn across your model into other polygons, breaking them up into many fragments. It is like a firework sometimes lol.

Don't get me wrong here, prior to these tools being available, a lot of people were thwarted in creating models. For instance, say I want a path shape cut through a model like a cleft slot in the face of a violin?

I can create the shape using path, then subtract it from my violin face. The result maybe messy, but I can clean it up and acheive good results quite quickly. I suspect many of you can do the same effect using edge splitting, vertice connecting and polygon shifting, create the same result with less vertices. Not everyones workflow is the same Smile

Checkout:
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tool works great! Very Happy

You can do some pretty funky stuff with this. Smile

Just cut some part of a sphere and select all polygons inside the new "edge" ring. Extrude them (to the inside) and you get this:

This opens up a whole range of possibilities. Thanks for this one. Wink
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive vibe. Smile Do note that this all was already possible. Vertex Insert has been there for quite a while and so has Vertex Connect. I just combined the two. Smile

trucker2000 wrote:

Can you make a loop? IE: In the movie, you made a "sorta" circle. Can you connect the last vert you placed with the first?

chronozphere wrote:

It would be even better if the tool would allow you to close the circle you make in the movie. It should detect whether you click an existing vertex and just connect it to the previous one.

Agreed. I've implemented this behavior just now. Check out the new movie. Smile

chronozphere wrote:

It would be a good alternative to some CSG routines. I rarely use CSG because it tends to add loads of poly's to your geometry. This tool provides a nice controlled way to do the same thing.

Partially true. Do note that this tool only allows connecting vertices that are part of the same polygon. It's not that easy to cut arbitraryparts from objects this way, like CSG does, although it certainly makes things easier and gives you way more control over created geometry.

Btw, thanks for checking the code. Also, I use FastStone capture for screenshots and movies. Best 20 bucks ever spend. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way you guys say stuff like 'I only did this, or did that'.... Rolling Eyes

Checkout:
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I updated, I got a conflick with several files in the resources folder. I deleted the folder and reupdated. That fixed the conflict.

Edit to add: Someone's going to have to tell me how to use this tool. The only thing insert does is nothing.
I haven't figured out how to even do what Jeroen did in the video. (the chess peice vid was perfect)
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:
Edit to add: Someone's going to have to tell me how to use this tool. The only thing insert does is nothing.
I haven't figured out how to even do what Jeroen did in the video. (the chess peice vid was perfect)

Yeah, I only recorded the 3D view in the latest videos. What you do is this:

- select your model
- go to Vertex mode
- select the Insert tool
- click on any edge in the 3D view to insert a vertex on that edge

If both the last selected vertex and the next vertex you insert are part of the same polygon, they are automatically connected if you have Auto-connect vertices on.

Let me know if this works for you! Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: