Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiki's front page was hijacked

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Wiki's front page was hijacked Reply with quote

I just noticed the wiki front page was modified by some spammer. The change log indicated a few changes actually and from a few accounts. I reverted the page back to Nocturn's Jan 17, 2010 edit.

Maybe restrict wiki editing to only trusted individuals?
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a couple of Tutorials some weeks ago, not sure exactly when.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems it was hijacked again. I've reverted back again. It's indeed a good idea to allow only thrusted individuals, although that takes the spirit out of "wiki"... Confused Is that even posible with Wiki?

Note: I'm watching the page and I'll be notified of any changes so if some spammer tries anything, I'll revert back immediately.

Don't you just hate those spammers.... I also have to be on my guard for the forum, as multiple spammers sign up each week. I check every new account and remove spammers immediately also.
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've had a lot of spammer problems lately on a TF2 community site that I run (also PHPBB for the forums). Seems like even with anti-spam initiatives some still get through. I'm very tempted to just get away from phpbb and go with something else - although for a wiki, I'm not familiar with the anti-spam measures that can be taken.

As for limiting users on a wiki, I remember it was possible with Mediawiki. And I don't think its necessarily taking the spirit out of the wiki, because if someone has something legitimate to add, all they need to do is request access. Giving editing rights to one account every now and then beats having to monitor wiki pages that seem to frequently get hijacked by different spammer accounts.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely need to allow only trusted users. Examining the recent changes on the Wiki, showed lots and lots of inserted spam. I've removed most of it by hand and then some more by inspecting the database. Deleted lots of spam-useraccounts too.

Edit: I've installed an extension on DeleDWiki which makes sure people have to request an account. Sysops (like me and PJ) can then authorize those accounts. This is really needed, because I noticed around 20 spam accounts having been created in just one day. Let's see if this extension stops those bots.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: