Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD hanging when starting raytracing ...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: DeleD hanging when starting raytracing ... Reply with quote

Good news and bad news: Regarding this problem I managed to narrow down the location of the hang ...
It's in unit_XMLDataReader in the "constructor TXMLDataReader.Create".
Actually it's the line "fProgressForm := TFrmProgress.Create( nil );" which furthermore leads to the line "inherited Create(anOwner);" which finally brings implicates the hang. In this place a progress-form is created but that happens quite often. So what's the difference between this use - so to say in correlation with raytracing - and the others. Well, the only difference is that all the other occurrences are invoked from the main-thread, and the occurrence according to the raytracer is invoked by the raytracer-manager-thread. It's nothing new that in Windows each thread that messes around with GUI stuff needs to have it's own message-processing - I guess initially it wasn't planned to have the progress-form invoked from a "minor"-thread.
The bad thing is that I have no clue what was before my first glance at the actual code, so I don't even know where it coulda been messed up.
As quickfix it's must be possible to selectively disable this progress-form creation if not called from the main-thread - actually I don't know why there anyways.

Hm, I hope I didn't misunderstand anything in the code so that all I said here is just crap. Maybe one of those already kinda familiar with DeleD's code could verify my findings?

EDIT: I made a quickfix now which has an overloaded constructor for XMLDataReader. The new one is specifically called by the Raytracer which in that way doesn't use a progress-form any more. So the other occurrences aren't offended in any way. If one is interested in this version which can now raytrace again she can download it from http://array51.com/static/DeleD_CE/SelectionPreview/deled.exe. This version has also the latest implementation of my SelectionPreview feature on-board.

EDIT2: Comments are as always welcome! Wink

Cheers,
Chrisu.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@chrisu: I was thinking... would it be good for if you had access to the DeleD code on sourceforge? I mean, so you can update it directly?
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-jan already gave me full access to the repository but i just wanted to use the possibility to have an "independent" beta-
test before i "mess up" the repo Wink
However, you are right, i should check in now. Though i was hoping to get more feedback regarding my changes regardless of positiv or negativ. It just feels like as noone took a look at it til now.
Any advises, dos or donts regarding checking in?

Cheers chrisu.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the new selection options, remember? Smile Those are excellent to put in. And of course, a raytracing fix is more than welcome too. So go ahead and update the repository.

Important note: I think most regular users won't bother checking the developers corner of the forum, or perhaps even any development topic. Most feedback is almost always achieved by releasing 'official' versions of DeleD containing the new features. That way, you'll be sure to reach the regular userbase of DeleD.

So, me thinks the repository should be updated with your new stuff and then a new release should be made a.s.a.p. Smile
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. It aint a bad idea to have some "official movement" again Wink. So, yes, I would support the idea to have a new version out soon. So I'll take a look at checking code in asap.

Cheers,
Chrisu.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: