Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Torque Exporter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it's not something that's easy to build into that exporter. It will be hard to find a developer willing to give it a shot.

Well, the computation itsself is not that complex. The only thing that may be hard is accessing all the required geometry information at a single place in the code and change it. That all depends on how well the torque exporter sources are organized.

I'll take a look at it. I might be able to add it to the exporter but I cant promise anything. Right now, I'm hung over and I have some other projects pending aswell. Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronozphere wrote:

Well, the computation itsself is not that complex. The only thing that may be hard is accessing all the required geometry information at a single place in the code and change it. That all depends on how well the torque exporter sources are organized.

I'll take a look at it. I might be able to add it to the exporter but I cant promise anything. Right now, I'm hung over and I have some other projects pending aswell. Smile

I don't know the Collada plugin sources very well (PJ coded that one) but knowing PJ, they are well organized. I'm guessing that knowing where to store those vertex normals in the actual file is something to figure out...

It would be great if you could give a shot. As Collada is gaining in popularity, lots of DeleD users will benefit a lot from such addition.
fik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry haven't been around much in last week or so due to having got a bacterial infection almost all gone now after brief stay in hospital.
Glad to see chronozphere gonna take a look.
My view is it's strange that Torque 3d doesn't smooth models its self.But as it doesn't the problems I see, applying a smooth to all vertices of a model is that you get some very funky shading on some shapes.The only way round this is to use smoothing groups, which as far as I am aware Deled does not support.
You can get round this by breaking up your model. Or have a smooth angle option for vertices on export. But then I don't know how Torque 3d handles these situations. Will have to download demo and have a play.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fik wrote:
Sorry haven't been around much in last week or so due to having got a bacterial infection almost all gone now after brief stay in hospital.
Glad to see chronozphere gonna take a look.
My view is it's strange that Torque 3d doesn't smooth models its self.But as it doesn't the problems I see, applying a smooth to all vertices of a model is that you get some very funky shading on some shapes.The only way round this is to use smoothing groups, which as far as I am aware Deled does not support.
You can get round this by breaking up your model. Or have a smooth angle option for vertices on export. But then I don't know how Torque 3d handles these situations. Will have to download demo and have a play.

Good to hear you're doing OK now again there, Fik. Having to stay in hospital is no fun! Confused

Would be great if you could play around with this. Indeed, DeleD does not support smoothing groups. One or more plugins allow the user to enter a smoothing angle, like you're also suggesting, so perhaps that might be a solution here too.
harper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bakteria got me, too. But seeing my wish is in the right hands, helps me working along - and when it's solved, i can re-export all models that needs it. Up to now it's only an aesthetical issue.
Health to all of you !!!!
harper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oh. I am getting old and dumb. To solve my vertex-normal-problem, i thought to give blender a second chance. Installed it, but for importing there must be an installed python. Okay, installed it - but those two don't find together. Blender says it needs a python 2.6 running; that's no longer available, only 2.7; Any tipps ???
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, there are two sizes of installer packages, one comes with Python, the other doesn't and assumes you already have it installed.

I had no problem installing from the larger of the two files.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
harper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a version 2.6 - that was being found and accepted.
But that doesn't mean, that i'm able to import a dae from Deled exporter.
Sure i could try export in other formats, but pipeline would be smoother if i can all do with .dae.
Have to investigate further.
fik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd as I have no trouble importing Deled Exported .dae files into Blender 2.56, what I have been using to do some experiments with for the exporter.
fik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to double post.
But I have found a workround for now, if you can't get blender to import .dae although I have no problems doing so. Then selecting object hitting smooth in left pane and then exporting and that seems to have smooth vertex normals.
Other route to is to download autodesk fbx converter from here
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855
convert .dae from deled in this to .fbx.
Then use same to convert the .fbx to .dae and normals should be smooth.
Sounds like a lot of mucking about but like most things takes longer to explain than do Laughing

images left to right 1. from DeleD no normals ,2 from DeleD normals, 3, after puting through fbx converter.

and yes now I can't load .dae into blender sure could few days ago will investigate.
Hope some of this of help as want to see some of the good stuff you produce in Torque.

Edit 2 --
Found why won't import to blender. It's the blender importer, you have to open file in a text editor and change the line near top
<up_axis>Y_UP</up_axis>
to
<up_axis>Z_UP</up_axis>
This will rotate models and may cause problems with rotaion when exported and imported back into torque.Doing oposite when exported from blender should solve thi.
Don't you just love how all programs deal with same file format in their own way Rolling Eyes
harper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fik!
Your post makes me hopeful - but:
The normal conversion via the FBX-Converter dirct from .dae to .fbx and reverse has no effect. So i tried a way where
the exporter has the option of "smooth normals" (the ".OBJ"-exporter), convert to FBX and convert again to .dae:
The result:

The result is much more confusing than the model without smoothing.
I'm still a little ill, but i will do more experiments.....
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some of the normals are reversed. I remember noticing that a lot from the obj exporter way back when.
harper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cause it's burning at my fingertips: There has been a Torque-exporter. Anybody using this?
Can he smooth or not? Is there any way to get me a copy if he can do it?
Now it's crucial to have a tool like this: Only houses and fences is not enough for my town.
I need soft, smooth things. Don't you want "well rounded" market-ladys selling well rounded apples etc.?
Where must i send money to achieve such things?
fik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very odd results there Harper. Maybe you could send me your horse model to me and I could have a little try to see why this is happening and come up with a solution. Don't know how far chronozphere has got with the exporter but maybe I will give it a go as well.
harper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fik, thanks for your interest.

i followed Your advice and merged the two half horses, with no effect on the normals.
Even tried export "DeleD->DAE->FBX->DAE" and also "DeleD->OBJ->FBX->DAE".
The OBJ-exporter has some options for smoothing (all or cease angle).
Last i tried all that on another simpler model; the bucket.
Removed the handle to get a simple solid one-piece model and exported in various ways.
But the strange behaviour stays. No chance of getting smoothed surfaces.

Anyone ideas to solve this problem??
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: