Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dungeon Crawler

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alovon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Dungeon Crawler Reply with quote

Hi all! I've got a few projects going, and I'm working off and on depending on school, but I recently played a little dungeon crawler on my phone. I have to say, the old school games still really have some appeal. They might not have flashy graphics, but many of them make up for that in items and customization. I like it a lot. So much in fact I'm intending on simplifying my modular level kit and developing one on my own. (Not for android of course, I prefer using C# not Java) So my real question is, what would you like to see in a dungeon crawler?

[EDIT]

So I've been working all night on perfecting the basic texture, along with some variations to break away from the monotony of most crawlers. I still haven't texture mapped any tiles other than the straight edge one. So a good deal more work in that department before I really get anywhere with this, however here is a look at what I've been so busy with. As a note, I was going for the toony/outliney/pixel look. To give it that real oldschool look and feel; however I intend to really beef this project up if I get the free time! Very Happy

So as someone said somewhere quite a while ago. (I think in a post dealing with making trees (The one I derived the last tutorial I made from Razz)) It's 95% Texture and 5% Geometry. Thanks for the look! Comments and criticisms welcome as usual! Very Happy
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texturing is perhaps the hardest thing for a lot of model makers, both in applying and creating in the first place.

You may consider lightmapping the scenes, and then maybe using a programme that can 'bake' the lightmaps onto the texture channels (similar to 3DMax). That can add yet another dimension to the look/feel. Baking lightmaps has a downside, more textures to load/store, as opposed to realtime lightmapping. But that is subjective to the processor speeds and resources available.

Either way, I do see the mobile markets to be one of the fastest growing in the near future, with a mind for the tablet market, which I believe will overtake the notebook/laptop markets.
Streaming games etc in 3D and HD, will become the norm in the next 3-5 years.

I wish you well with the project.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Alovon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I don't expect an extra .bmp to weigh the the project down drastically to begin with. Machines are still getting better, and I think the majority of devices could handle it seeing as we're now stepping into the age of displacement mapping and such! (That stuff is cool!)

I haven't got much done much with this project recently seeing as I've been studying for finals... *facepalm* But I intend to get back on it as soon as winter break starts!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: