Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SVN branch for Lazarus port
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: SVN branch for Lazarus port Reply with quote

Happy New Year 2013!

I revived my Lazarus port experiments.
Now I would like to get access to a new SVN branch for this purpose, maybe named as "LazarusPort".
My user name would be "juha" and I would give a password in a private mail.
Sorry, I don't know who is the SVN admin of this project.

This branch would have no risk for anybody. In the worst case scenario I will waste my time and fail. No other harm done.

If my port starts to work, there will be a question if FPC/Lazarus could be the main development tool.
The new branch should of course happen only if the main developers see it as a possible direction for future. Otherwise I will put my experiments into GitHub.
I was just thinking that a branch in the project itself would better reach people who are interested, and it would kind of imply a blessing from the project developers.

If you don't want to create a branch for this purpose, it is OK, no offence taken.

Regards,
Juha Manninen
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the SVN admins of DeleD CE. As such, I'm interested in your ideas, of course. Smile

How far are you with the actual porting? Got anything working?
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
I'm one of the SVN admins of DeleD CE. As such, I'm interested in your ideas, of course. Smile

Not only ideas. It is the real thing, source code. Smile

Quote:

How far are you with the actual porting? Got anything working?

Unfortunately it does not work at all yet. The code compiles and starts but gives some errors when creating forms. I will investigate it more.

The automatic Delphi conversion in Lazarus run without problems. Then some manual changes were needed before it compiled, but not very many.
In fact I have improved the Delphi converter using DeleD as a test case.

OpenGL is the next challenge. The OpenGL package is replaced with the version included in Lazarus.
Step 1 is to make a Windows-only Lazarus project. Porting OpenGL is easier then.
Step 2 would be a cross-platform version, using the OpenGLContext component.

Also the components SynEdit and PascalScript could easily be replaced with the versions included in Lazarus.
Graphics32 supports Lazarus now. Their latest version (or trunk) must be installed. A small fix was needed for their Lazarus package, I sent a patch to their bug tracker.

Lazarus / LCL trunk now has the ValueListEditor component which was missing during my earlier experiments. It also means that Lazarus trunk is required now.

I may ask help from other people for some problems. At that point I must have the code somewhere in a public place, preferably in a revision control system.

Regards,
Juha Manninen
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see you've got an actual plan for converting the Delphi source code to Lazarus. I'm very interested in the final result so keep us posted!

As soon as you've got a conversion up and running (actually working, that is), it would be a good time to setup an SVN repository. People will be more interested in adding to the code when they know it's a working product.

I wonder though: are there many Lazarus developers out there? Having no real experience with Lazarus, I don't really know. What are good developer forums / sites for Lazarus out there?
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
It's good to see you've got an actual plan for converting the Delphi source code to Lazarus. I'm very interested in the final result so keep us posted!

As soon as you've got a conversion up and running (actually working, that is), it would be a good time to setup an SVN repository. People will be more interested in adding to the code if they it's a working product.

Ok, I try to make it work somehow first.
A "working code" is flexible term though. I will need to get it public if I want to communicate about it.

Quote:

I wonder though: are there many Lazarus developers out there? Having no real experience with Lazarus, I don't really know. What are good developer forums / sites for Lazarus out there?

Lazarus is gaining popularity, especially after 1.0 release, while Delphi is still loosing its popularity.
The forum and mailing lists are very active. You can find more info here:
http://lazarus.freepascal.org/

I recommend installing FPC release version (2.6.x) and then Lazarus trunk from SVN server, especially because the coming DeleD port requires Lazarus trunk.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus

The strange thing is that FPC and Lazarus are so unknown by most SW developers although they are technically very good, competing with systems that gain much more hype.
However the few that know them, seem to be very active and that is more important.
Advanced development tools are used by a small minority in any case, even if everybody knew about them.

Regards,
Juha Manninen
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Lazarus is gaining popularity. Do you think you'll be able to find developers willing to work on a Lazarus port of DeleD?
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Good to see Lazarus is gaining popularity. Do you think you'll be able to find developers willing to work on a Lazarus port of DeleD?

I believe I get help for specific questions and problems.
It is possible that some people get interested enough to spend more time with it, but I cannot promise that.

Still, there is a bigger chance to find open source developers for a Lazarus project than for a Delphi project.
The Delphi dependency will be more and more a problem for your project. It would be OK for a commercial project but not for an open source project.

Regards,
Juha
oliebol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:

Do FPC devels count? Very Happy

Delphi/FPC gaming is mostly at http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/
and the german Delphi opengl forum. (http://delphigl.com/)

The numbers are much lower than Delphi though, but generally they are more knowledgable. The most important feature though is that they are on a fairly narrow band, versionwise, and multiple installations (versions) are possible.

DeleD could simply host its own prefered version, migrating once every 2 years or so.
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliebol wrote:

DeleD could simply host its own prefered version, migrating once every 2 years or so.

Hi Marco!

You join the DeleD Lazarus port experiment? Smile
I didn't quite understand your idea. What should DeleD host? Preferred version of what?

Juha
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen and others

Now I have a version that works _somehow_.
It means that DeleD compiles and runs with Lazarus under Windows, and you can open an existing model which is shown.
Unfortunately the GUI is still broken otherwise. The tool windows don't show at all. It is related to MDI or something about the window creation.

Anyway, now I must put this code under revision control, for other people to see it and to get revision history from now on.
Would you please create an SVN branch into your repository.
If it is not possible then I will use GitHub, but I prefer a branch under the project itself.

Regards,
Juha Manninen
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A branch in the current project would be preferable. I will need to get into this as I'm not aware of the branching possibilities in our SVN repository (it's been a while). Will get back to you a.s.a.p, probably next weekend.

In the mean time, do you have a few screenshots to share with us?! Very Happy
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
A branch in the current project would be preferable. I will need to get into this as I'm not aware of the branching possibilities in our SVN repository (it's been a while). Will get back to you a.s.a.p, probably next weekend.
Very Happy

$ svn copy
on the server should do it. It is a light operation, it does not copy existing files.
The files are copied only on the client checkout.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.using.html#svn.branchmerge.using.create

I think the user access is done only by setting the *nix directory rights on the server.
[Edit:] No, actually there are authz and passwd files involved. You will figure it out.

I will give a password in a private mail. juha dot manninen62 ät gmail dot com

The port is not ready for screenshots yet. Maybe soon...

Regards,
Juha Manninen
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a screenshot. The Lazarus version of DeleD is very functional, only the MDI windows layout is broken. Now the tool windows are all separate instead of docked to the main window.

The Screenshot

Regards,
Juha
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks rather good, even though the MDI layout isn't functional.

I noticed it says DeleD 1.0 CE. I take it you did actually port the most current (2.45) version of DeleD? What's up with the 1.0?
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
That looks rather good, even though the MDI layout isn't functional.
I noticed it says DeleD 1.0 CE. I take it you did actually port the most current (2.45) version of DeleD? What's up with the 1.0?

The 1.0 has no meaning here.
I just put something there because the fileinfo func gives an error otherwise.
I ported the DeleD trunk from ~ 2 months ago. The most recent commits can be "cherry-picked" to it.

Juha

P.S.
Did you figure out the details of SVN branch and commit rights?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: