Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Office Demo + quick view into my personal workflow

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stressless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Office Demo + quick view into my personal workflow Reply with quote

Hi guys.

So, today i'm showing you some of my latest work (better yet, it's still in progress!). And to make things even more interesting, i'm showing you my personal workflow from the start in DeleD till the end in Unreal Engine 4. And hopefully you will see that even though DeleD is a starters editor, and not a professional one, it can still create some very cool results.

Quick view into my personal Workflow

First i start with searching images on google. In this case i was able to get my hands on some reference photo's. But normaly i just look for inspiration on www.Behance.net or more architect inpiration websites. I than create a list of 3d models that need to be made. I keep in mind on what level of detail i want to make them. And than, i just simply start making the models one by one. Starting with the walls, doors, windows and floor. This will be my main guideline for setting the scale and size of everything. We know how big a door is, so having a door as a reference point gives me a nice place to start scaling things. Game engines can render more poly than DeleD can handle, so we don't have to worry about that part. Even mobile devices can handle a lot these days.

For most of the time i will use standard textures that come with DeleD, or i get them from www.cgtextures.com or just simply google. I use the my own textures for floors, and parts that need proper UV mapping. Otherwise the DeleD textures (256x256) will do just fine. Once complete, i export them in pieces (OBJ) so it's easier for UE4 to generate proper UV maps during import. I use the free FBX converter of Autodesk. It converts OBJ to FBX. FBX is the standard, and UE4 loves it. In UE4 i assign the real textures, not the DeleD ones. Of example. The monitor i made has a screen with a texture on it that i made 'fit'. So no matter the size of the material i put on it in UE4, it will always fit the screen of my monitor model. Yes, it does mean that in DeleD my models look wierd. But it's extremely fast if you know you're going to use 'color materials' in UE4 instead of photo materials. Of course some models like the floors, windows and so on need photo materials to make them look real.

Office Demo

My goal was to create a office environment that looked very clean, modern and light. But was also able to be exported from UE4 to a mobile device. For that i needed to keep the poly low. And guess what, DeleD rocks at making lowpoly models. ALL objects in the following screens are made in DeleD from scratch. The renders are done in Unreal Engine 4.

granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the look of this already,nice work on the laptop and chair to Smile .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great. Thanks for the workflow. It was quite interesting.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work indeed - everything looks really professional. And I agree with Dave: that chair looks especially cool! Very Happy

Perhaps you can tell a little bit about your modeling techniques. Like, which tools do you use often, how do you create curves, etc?
stressless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image shows it best. The right chair is how i made the original one. I use all four viewports to create the basic shape of the chair. The left chair is how it looked after using the smooth tool. I normaly copy/paste the object i want to smooth before i do it, to compare things, and make alterations to the 'before' object. If you play around with the smooth tool you will start to predict how it will curve the object. But sometimes it makes a big mess. Wink

The wheels and such are not smoothed but cilinders with 16 sides. I often use the insert & extrude tool to create extra sides on a object. Which than can be moved to create the basic shape of a curve.

If you look at the 'wires' i added to the monitor (which looks terrible with those textures Wink ) i just extrude the cilinder a lot of times, rotate and move them around to make a lowpoly wire.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: