Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some DeleD feature Ideas

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LORD_EZARIK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Some DeleD feature Ideas Reply with quote

Here are a few Ideas I have had for possible DeleD features.

1. .3DS model export, this would make the tool more useful for games and programs using the .3DS format, e.g. as part of the inputs of mod tools like the official .MD2 maker for Quake 2 which accepts .3DS files and the modified Quake 2 engine being developed which can load .3DS files (though it's not yet finished).
2. .MD3 and or .MD5 (preferably .MD5 as apparently it's better) importer to allow people to get their files from Gmax into DeleD.
3. Support "additive"(or whatever it should be called) and absolute type in boxes for Rotate and scale as well as a bone scale option.
4. support for non bone object animations and parenting / linking, as well as support for cameras, point markers and box markers.
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on an md5 import plugin. Expect to finish in a month or so. Would have it done faster but there is a lot going on right now in real life. As you stated DeleD supports bone animation but not morph target. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Lord_Ezarik and welcome to these forums! Smile Thanks for your suggestions. Although I am not working on DeleD CE (DeleD Web Edition takes up all my time atm), I hope somebody else will pick up on your ideas.

@John: That md5 importer sounds really great John! Keep us posted about your progress! Very Happy
LORD_EZARIK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

I'm pleased you liked my suggestions and it's good to hear that an .MD5 importer is on it's way, another feature I forgot which could be useful was Visibility Tracks, though they probably shouldn't be a priority.

At least appearance / performance wise and in a few other ways DeleD is probably my favourite free 3d Modelling tool, though I haven't yet got the hang of how to use it, out of curiosity does DeleD use a software renderer?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really like suggestions being made because although I am not working actively on DeleD CE anymore, suggestions can benefit DeleD Web Edition. So keep 'm coming! Smile

DeleD CE uses OpenGL Immediate Mode. Read more about it here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6733934/what-does-immediate-mode-mean-in-opengl

As you can see, immediate mode is not ideal which is why DeleD CE shouldn't be used for really large scenes (say, over 100k polygons on modern hardware). Of course, DeleD Web Edition uses modern technology (Opengl with vertex- and fragment shaders) and can handle much larger scenes.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering (not based on anything scientific) as the web-Deled runs OpenGL, and Mantle is OpenGL on steroids, will it benefit?

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this new project opengl or opengles (aka webgl) or something else?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's WebGL. Front-end developed with Typescript (which is compiled into Javascript). Back-end is Web API and some other stuff. Smile

@AWM: I don't know anything about Mantle so can't really say anything scientific about it. Wink
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt my entire system around AMD's offerings. For many reasons, one being that as AMD is one of the only complete chip manufactures. AMD are the leaders at multi-core performance (on a domestic level) and the development of Mantle to finally break the deadlock MicroSoft like to have, regarding DirectX. We all know DirectX is one of the most popular games platforms and has basically controlled overall performance over the years. Its a loss leader financially so MS don't heavily invest in it.

Mantle, which is hardwired into the CPU/APU and of course the GPU of AMD products is far superior to any game that supports it. I have run benchmarks on games that have both OpenGL, DirectX 11 and Mantle platform versions. The results were very impressive, not just graphically, albeit the fps were almost doubled, but the sound effects as well.

Given that AMD have won the contracts to provide the hardware package for the XBox, Wii and PS5, game producers will no doubt take advantage of the hardwired API's for Mantle which represents a huge slice of the market, PC versions will follow rapidly.

Microsofts answer is to release yet another patched up version of DirectX, which by all accounts will not address the current or future needs of gamers worldwide.

Ok, time to put the soapbox away Laughing

Checkout:
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The business model that Microsoft follows is very similar to McDonald's in a certain way...you know that the food kind of sucks...but it sucks at a level that is always consistent. Consistency makes people more comfortable. Hence why Microsoft can still do well even if their tech sucks because it is a known quantity.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Mantle suitable for web-development? DirectX and OpenGL can be used for regular Windows developement. WebGL is used for web developement. Mantle can be used for Windows and web?
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
The business model that Microsoft follows is very similar to McDonald's in a certain way...you know that the food kind of sucks...but it sucks at a level that is always consistent. Consistency makes people more comfortable. Hence why Microsoft can still do well even if their tech sucks because it is a known quantity.

Its also about competition, why push yourself if no one is biting at your heels.

As far as Mantle being WebGL compliant, I suppose its the other way round, is WebGL going to have the ability to make use of Mantle?

Checkout:
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that WebGL is based on OpenGL ES2 not OpenGL. There are certain tradeoffs for the portability that WebGL enjoys.
darkhog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd love to see in DeleD is poly/edge rotation. I know Delphi, but know exactly nothing about making rendering/3D code (one of reasons I'm using Unity instead of trying to do something custom).
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main reasons I did not implement poly/edge rotation is that adjancent polygons may become degenerate (not flat etc). Are you sure you need functionality like that?

Btw, I can image you need the same knowledge about rendering/3d code when coding Unity?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: