Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've made some fairly significant progress on the Laz port!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akira13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: I've made some fairly significant progress on the Laz port! Reply with quote

For anyone that isn't aware, in 2013 JuhaManninen (a moderator at the Lazarus forums, i think) ported DeleD from Delphi to Lazarus. Originally, as you all know, it used dglOpenGL with a custom "TOGLForm" class that was native to the application. As far as I know he did get it 100% working with the original method of rendering, but then after beginning to attempt to move it over to use Lazarus' TOpenGLControl he stopped working on the project for one reason or another. So it's pretty much been entirely stagnant for the past view years with the TOpenGLControl implementation very much not working at all. I decided to pick up where he left off a couple of weeks ago, and I'm happy to state that I've pretty much got the entire application "working as intended" with TOpenGLControl (as in no more dglOpenGL anywhere.) I don't think I'm quite ready to post the updated codebase anywhere yet, but I certainly will once I get it cleaned up a bit more. Apart from getting it to work with TOpenGLControl at all, other significant changes I've made are:

-Replaced all of the outdated SendMessage and PostMessage stuff with proper LCL event handlers
-Fixed the Raytracer and Screenshot manager save-to-image-file functionality (the resulting files aren't just entirely black now! ;D)
-Fixed some weird TList-related bugs that would cause certain aspects of the applications functionality (like the Hollow and Smooth Tool) to make it crash to desktop
-Replaced all the TControlBars with TPanels (TControlBar is just extremely buggy, and isn't a unique or important enough component relative to the applications functionality to be worth spending time fixing)
-Added an anti-aliasing level control so you can make the viewport look nice!
-Other misc stuff that i'll detail more later.

Here's a preview screenshot of the application running with eight-times multisampling:
http://i.imgur.com/cMVCOqz.png
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Akira13, welcome to these forums! Smile You've been quite busy with the port - good job! I can imagine this was a lot of work. What are your plans with it from this point?
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: I've made some fairly significant progress on the Laz po Reply with quote

That is fabulous! Thanks Akira13.

Akira13 wrote:

As far as I know he did get it 100% working with the original method of rendering, but then after beginning to attempt to move it over to use Lazarus' TOpenGLControl he stopped working on the project for one reason or another.

The rendering worked somehow but not 100%. Many things were broken. I am curious how well your version works.
Is it cross-platform now that TOpenGLControl is used?

The reason for stopping was that I don't know how to program OpenGL or other graphics well.
I hoped somebody would join the effort and finish it. Nobody did ... until now!
Yes I know, I did things in an unusual order. I should first learn graphics programming better and only then port a big 3D design SW.
It was like "climbing a tree ass first" as a saying here goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1OJGEI0uZw

Quote:

-Replaced all the TControlBars with TPanels (TControlBar is just extremely buggy, and isn't a unique or important enough component relative to the applications functionality to be worth spending time fixing)

I would prefer fixing TControlBar instead. It would benefit all projects that use it.
I will answer to your Lazarus forum post and explain more.
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,32892

Akira13, you really should get an account for the DeleD SVN branch for Lazarus port and publish your changes there.
That's what the branch was made for.
It gives the code a semi-official feel and may attract more attention from other developers.
Jeroen, please give Akira13 a write access to the SVN branch.

How active has been the main branch development recently? The Lazarus port is based on an old revision already. At some point comes a question of either merging new development to the Lazarus port or creating a unified source code with IFDEFs. I don't know how realistic that would be.
[Edit: Trunk development has not been active. The last revision is r131 from January 2012. Is that correct?]
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akira13, do you need help with revision control systems?
Akira13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone still monitors these forums, but in case they do:

I've made quite a few more improvents since the last time I posted here, and am aiming to upload my changes sometime tomorrow.

A few highlights:
-User controllable anti-aliasing settings (applied to all viewports)
-Full support for textures in ALL common image file types and pixel formats (16bit, 24bit, 32bit, whatever you want... it no longer matters at all)
-Built-in native OBJ exporter
-Significant performance improvements application-wide
-Revamped windowing system (the application now uses a fully customizable "docking" implementation, facilitated by the Lazarus "AnchorDocking" package)

Refer to this thread on the Lazarus forums for more information, if you're interested:

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,32892.0.html

Here's a screenshot:

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's awesome progress there, Akira13! Is there an .exe we could download? Would love to play with it. Smile
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if anyone still monitors these forums, but in case they do:

Very cool work.I am always checking in here Very Happy .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
stressless

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Significant performance improvements application-wide

That's always interesting. Like Jeroen said, is there a exe we could download to check things out?
Akira13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. My sincere apologies for falling off the face of the Earth. I've just been extremely busy with my actual real-life job, and with continuing to work on DeleD in what time I've had in the interim. That being said, how does the idea of DeleD actually rendering scene lights as real OpenGL lights in real-time sound? Hopefully good, because it's a thing now! Very Happy

The selected pointlight in that screenshot is the only active lightsource. There are no lightmaps or other texture trickery of any kind present whatsoever. (Other than the fact that I've obviously replaced the original low-res textures themselves with high-res ones, but that has nothing to do with lighting at all.) Basically how it works now is I've added checkboxes in the main options menu that allow you to toggle the use of either the classic infinite sun light DeleD has always had, or scene lighting as shown in the screenshot, or a combination of both, or neither. Also, in case you're wondering, "but what if I want to take a screenshot without the light bodies visible!?!?" you can. You can freely turn off the rendering of the red placeholder meshes the same way you always have, and the effects of the light will remain visible for as long as the light itself exists in the scene (i.e. until you delete it.) Now, as far as the EXE of the application some people were asking about, I'll try to get one up relatively soon. I know I've made claims already regarding when I was intending to upload things over on the Lazarus forums (which I certainly have failed to live up to Wink ) but... I don't really care? Considering that this is all work I'm doing for zero dollars, and all. Good things come to those who wait, as they say. Laughing
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is waaaaaaay cool! Very Happy No worries about things taking time - I know all about that myself. Wink Let us know when the exe is available so we can play with this new stuff! Keep up the good work! Smile
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Akira13,i have been looking on the Lazarus forums also.I cant wait to try this out.out of all the software i have DeLeD is allways my favorite.

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Let us know when the exe is available so we can play with this new stuff!

I want to remind people also here that the license of DeleD is now GNU GPL.
It means he must provide the source code once he delivers an executable.
When there is an executable, I will ask for the sources directly from Akira. I highly recommend that he then follows the license rules and provides them!

Even if the license of DeleD was changed now, the fork from me and thus from Akira still are under GPL forever.
I don't anticipate a change of license, nor see any reason for it, just speculating a hypothetical situation.

Why some people consider GPL a joke? We have many rules in the society. Usually people obey them, especially when the rules are fair. GPL sets its own fair rules which also should be obeyed.
The essence of GPL is that source code of a delivered SW must be made available, including code derived from the original code.
All the rules in GPL try to prevent people using some trick to turn that code into closed source.
Refusing to publish the sources is the biggest possible violation against GPL. It goes against its very core and essence.
Does Akira feel that rules don't apply him because he is a "good guy" or something? I don't know.

Note: Akira has not violated the license yet because he has not delivered executables.
So far it has only been unsocial behavior, explaining his significant improvements to GPL'd code in detail, without showing the code. It has continued now over 7 months and counting ...
Akira13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuhaManninen wrote:
Jeroen wrote:
Let us know when the exe is available so we can play with this new stuff!

I want to remind people also here that the license of DeleD is now GNU GPL.
It means he must provide the source code once he delivers an executable.
When there is an executable, I will ask for the sources directly from Akira. I highly recommend that he then follows the license rules and provides them!

Even if the license of DeleD was changed now, the fork from me and thus from Akira still are under GPL forever.
I don't anticipate a change of license, nor see any reason for it, just speculating a hypothetical situation.

Why some people consider GPL a joke? We have many rules in the society. Usually people obey them, especially when the rules are fair. GPL sets its own fair rules which also should be obeyed.
The essence of GPL is that source code of a delivered SW must be made available, including code derived from the original code.
All the rules in GPL try to prevent people using some trick to turn that code into closed source.
Refusing to publish the sources is the biggest possible violation against GPL. It goes against its very core and essence.
Does Akira feel that rules don't apply him because he is a "good guy" or something? I don't know.

Note: Akira has not violated the license yet because he has not delivered executables.
So far it has only been unsocial behavior, explaining his significant improvements to GPL'd code in detail, without showing the code. It has continued now over 7 months and counting ...

Says the guy who couldn't even figure out how to replace the direct use of "WGL" calls in the application with the use of TOpenGLControl (Which was honestly utterly trivial for me, as it should have been for any reasonably experienced Pascal programmer regardless of whether they knew anything about OpenGL or not.) I've tried to remain civil up until now but seriously... nobody in the world cares about open-source software licenses as much as you do. You're literally stating that the direct "blessing" of one of the original authors (in this case Jeroen) isn't good enough for you. Also, I am not at all concerned with how "unsocial" (did you mean "antisocial"?) anyone thinks I am being. I'm just a guy who saw a codebase and was like "hey, I don't think this would be that difficult to improve!" and started doing so. As I have said, at this point like five times, one day I will upload it, and everything everyone thinks of me right now will cease to matter.

Last edited by Akira13 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akira13 wrote:

Says the guy who couldn't even figure out how to replace the direct use of "WGL" calls in the application with the use of TOpenGLControl (Which was honestly utterly trivial for me, as it should have been for any reasonably experienced Pascal programmer regardless of whether they knew anything about OpenGL or not.)

Yes, I am prepared to acknowledge you as a very good programmer when I see the code. Now I must take only your word for it.

Quote:

You're literally stating that the direct "blessing" of one of the original authors (in this case Jeroen) isn't good enough for you.

Yes, I am literally stating that. Jeroen and co. blessed the code by publishing it under GNU GPL which was a noble thing to do. Thanks for doing so!
After that moment the GPL rules apply.

Quote:

As I have said, at this point like five time, one day I will upload it, ...

Why not upload now?
Akira13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuhaManninen wrote:

Yes, I am prepared to acknowledge you as a very good programmer when I see the code. Now I must take only your word for it.

Not what I said or implied. The point was that you think the things I have done are a big deal, because you think anything to do with OpenGL and Pascal is a big deal, because you don't understand it. I have made it very clear multiple times that I don't think anything I have done is really any kind of coding achievement, and that the changes themselves are only significant relative to the functionality that already existed in the application. Indeed, I think there are a lot of people out there who could have easily done what I've done. (But no one has, for whatever reason.)

This forum is absolutely not the right venue for this discussion, though. I imagine anyone reading these last couple of posts must be scratching their head...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: