Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD for Linux
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: DeleD for Linux Reply with quote

Hi all,

i will switch after a couple of Time complete to Linux ( Ubuntu Linux )(ive got yet Linux and Windows on my PC), probably, i will use Cedega for Windows Apps.

But, it would be cool if you can make a Linux Version of DeleD.

mfg, Sindwiller
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i don' t think this is a quick thing; although i don't know DeleD's code, you can assume that there are many many windows functions (The user interface at least), making it very hard, if not impossible to easily port to linux. But you could try an windows emulator like Wine instead. (yeah yeah, wine is not an emulator, i know i know Wink)
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Fletcher wrote:
Well i don' t think this is a quick thing; although i don't know DeleD's code, you can assume that there are many many windows functions (The user interface at least), making it very hard, if not impossible to easily port to linux. But you could try an windows emulator like Wine instead. (yeah yeah, wine is not an emulator, i know i know Wink)

1. There is a Open Source Pascal IDE, thats similiar to Delphi and haves an own VLC like Component Librarie. Lazarus Pascal IDE

2. Wine dont supports 3D-Application, and after all, it doesnt work.

mfg, SIndwiller
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. Linux crowd doesn't want a non-GLP closed source app.
4. Linux guys won't buy anything.

I know that doesn't cover everyone, but it covers a huge chunk of the potential users. They'd all just use that craptacual blender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) There is a Open Source Pascal IDE, thats similiar to Delphi and haves an own VLC like Component Librarie. Lazarus Pascal IDE
This could be a point, if the deled team would have had started using those from the beginning on, but i believe, they didn't.
2.) And looking at winehq.com, it does. It may have some problems with DirectX, though. But right, i don't know much about linux and therefore less about wine.
3.) mfg is a german abbrivation, non-german users probably won't understand it Razz
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine is a clunky windows emulator. So you can ditch your copy of windows, and then install linux and pretend to be running a crappier copy of windows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyre_Dark wrote:
3. Linux crowd doesn't want a non-GLP closed source app.
4. Linux guys won't buy anything.

I know that doesn't cover everyone, but it covers a huge chunk of the potential users. They'd all just use that craptacual blender.

3. And? Do Delgine die when they make an Linux or OS X Port?

4. Why their buying Games for Linux, or why their buying Cedega to use their Windows Games?

Quote:
3.) mfg is a german abbrivation, non-german users probably won't understand it Razz

Ok, then "wfg", "with friendly greets". Very Happy

Quote:
Wine is a clunky windows emulator. So you can ditch your copy of windows, and then install linux and pretend to be running a crappier copy of windows.

WINE = Wine is not an Emulator

Wine is a Wrapper, like Cygwin. It doesnt emulate a Windows Environment, it converts Windows Functions to Linux.

mfg/wfg,Sindwiller
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys on the Irrlicht forums managed to get DeleD running on Linux, I don't remember who, but it means it can be done.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewriting DeleD to run under freepascal would be a lot of work. Rewriting DeleD to run under freepascal on linux-boxes would be even more work. While doing so wouldn't kill us, it would definitely stop us from adding any interesting features to DeleD for a long long time. It's just a matter of choice, and we decided not to. However, If someone feels like paying us to do the job that might change things Very Happy

Just because I am curious: why would you switch completely to linux? What is the big problem with using multiboot or multiple pc's with multiple OS's?
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Rewriting DeleD to run under freepascal would be a lot of work. Rewriting DeleD to run under freepascal on linux-boxes would be even more work. While doing so wouldn't kill us, it would definitely stop us from adding any interesting features to DeleD for a long long time. It's just a matter of choice, and we decided not to. However, If someone feels like paying us to do the job that might change things Very Happy

Just because I am curious: why would you switch completely to linux? What is the big problem with using multiboot or multiple pc's with multiple OS's?

1. I dont have so much Money to buy Multiplie PCs, even my PC is Junk.

2. It takes to much Time to switch to Windows, and then to Linux, and that again. Windows is slow, unsecured (better: unsecurable), and i dont wanna switch to Vista. Shortly: Windows is just Junk! Microsoft suxx!

3. Have you tried to rewrite it, i dont meant with "similliar to Delphi" that it haves like Delphi it own Component Library, no, it is compatible to Delphi. Lazarus haves a Function, to turn whole Delphi Projects into Lazarus Projects (i know it, i was Pascal/Delphi programer).

mfg, Sindwiller
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sindwiller wrote:
2. It takes to much Time to switch to Windows, and then to Linux, and that again. Windows is slow, unsecured (better: unsecurable), and i dont wanna switch to Vista. Shortly: Windows is just Junk! Microsoft suxx!
As opposed to an Os that doesn't have any programs worth running. Every type of program on Linux comes in 50,000 flavours, none of them good (with a few exceptions).

1. Unistall Windows
2. Install crappy garage spftware OS
3. Have no programs, so run WINE and pretend to be in windows
4. Run other things which are bad copies of what real software looked like 7 years ago.
5. Stick it to MS?

Shocked
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sindwiller, I think you are gravely overestimating the state of Lazarus / the LCL Smile
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Sindwiller, I think you are gravely overestimating the state of Lazarus / the LCL Smile

Do you ever tryed it?

wfg, Sindwiller
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try it once every six months or so, but there is always quite an active freepascal discussion going on in the various Delphi forums (www.nldelphi.com is my personal favorite, very active, but in Dutch) so I keep pretty much up to date Smile
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to run in linux and then loaded my lightmapped level into Irrlicht (with Ilbuzzo's loader-now internally supported by the engine).

all the info is here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42897&highlight=linux#42897

Delgine ran, a bit crazy, but I was able to lightmap a level.

Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: