Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids Programming Language & Deled

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Kids Programming Language & Deled Reply with quote

Hi. Basically, Kids Programming Language is set up by Morrison Schwartz, and it is, as the name suggests, a programming language aimed at kids. The first version only supports 2D programming, but the second which is coming out soon, supports 3D.
I am a user of KPL, I have nothing to do with the development, but I may be a beta tester, but they recommended DeleD to use as a 3D modelling tool. I think I may be one of the first KPL users to follow their reccomendation, but if I'm not, shout!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this, but it seem the best. So, I'll put on the KPL forum about this, and I'll also tell you guys about any games I make.
I've started making some models, but I don't understand some things:
1. Why when you rotate around rectangle in the 3D view, why does it dissapear?
2. When you extrude an object, why do faces dissapear when again rotating around it?
3. I downloaded a plugin which let you walk around a map using wsad keys, the Level Preview Plugin 1.1.1, and I made a map, used the plugin on it. It created the myfile.dmf, but how do I actually do what the plugin says?
Thanks,
Tomash
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Programming Language & Deled Reply with quote

tomash wrote:
1. Why when you rotate around rectangle in the 3D view, why does it dissapear?

Because all primitives have only 1 side, and backface culling is toggled on (f5 I believe). Turning off backface culling will allow you to view it from both sides, however, it will still only have 1 side.

Quote:
2. When you extrude an object, why do faces dissapear when again rotating around it?
See above.

If you make a big cube, and you move into it, (with culling on) you won't see the cube while you are inside it, because the sides of it are facing outwards, and you are inside. The faces have a side because they have what you call a 'normal' which means which way it is pointing. This is so the lighting can be calculated. You can look here to find out about normals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_normal

Actually, you should read the whole section on 3d graphics if you want to understand what you are doing. 3d graphics are a lot more technical then 2d graphics, and you either understand how it works, or you will only be able to produce junk. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tomash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Thanks alot!
Anyone got any help for 3.?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, but I don't really understand your question.

When you invoke the level preview plugin, it first creates the .dmf buffer, then (after you press ok) starts up a new window using the settings you provided. Does that not work for you? If so, check the settings you provided, or simply delete levelpreview.cfg to start with the defaults (having a .cfg file of an old version of the level previewer around could cause some problems, but I don't think you installed it before, right?).
tomash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got help from the maker of the plugin now (il buzzo), so it doesnt matter. Thanks anyway!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool. If Il Buzzo is on it, it'll definitely get solved Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: