Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

plugin architecture change

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: plugin architecture change Reply with quote

I've been working hard on the plugin architecture because I wasn't happy with its current state (too limited). The new plugin architecture allows the plugin to request items from DeleD (for example, all objects, all lights, all selected objects, etc, etc, or combinations of those items). DeleD will then only send the items requested after which you can do whatever you want with them. The same goes when sending data from the plugin to DeleD. The system can also handle various different stringformats so we are ready for the future as well.

This all means that current plugins will have to be slightly altered (fortunately, not too much). I will provide new plugin examples with code to show how it's al done. Smile The system is in testfase now and I expect it to be finished sometime next week so it will be included in the next DeleD version (0.87 probably).
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeroen,
I'd like to see this new system and I hope it's compatible with C++ like the actual system ( please don't use Delphi String but PCHAR to ensure compatibility with all development languages).
If you want a C++ tester I'm here Very Happy, you've just to send me DeleD 0.87 and Delphi examples so I'll try to port them to C++ !!!!
Bye
Laughing
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il Buzzo wrote:
Hi Jeroen,
I'd like to see this new system and I hope it's compatible with C++ like the actual system ( please don't use Delphi String but PCHAR to ensure compatibility with all development languages).
If you want a C++ tester I'm here Very Happy, you've just to send me DeleD 0.87 and Delphi examples so I'll try to port them to C++ !!!!
Bye
Laughing

Yeah, the new system looks much like the current system and uses PChar's to ensure compatibility. The only difference is that the new system uses a header which describes what data is being send between DeleD and the plugin so you can now choose what data to transmit (objects, lights, complete scene, whatever).

I will create DeleD examples and send them to you when finished so we can test the stuff! Very Happy

edit: first testplugin has been created and works like a charm. Wink
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean I'll be able to write a light object exporter, and use the data from the DeleD lights for a new lighting system I'm planning for DBPro. Well Khris has talked me into doing for DBPro.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
So does this mean I'll be able to write a light object exporter, and use the data from the DeleD lights for a new lighting system I'm planning for DBPro. Well Khris has talked me into doing for DBPro.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. The new system allows you to ask DeleD for specific data. You will be able to ask for just about any item-type available. Most of the time, people will want objects and lights, but if you only need lights you just ask for lights and work your way from there. This already works for 80% (objects work, lights have to be implemented).

Another example is to ask for all selected objects (or lights of whatever), do you thing with them and send them back to DeleD. Imagine the possibilities. Smile

Last edited by Jeroen on Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
dirkk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this sounds very good!

I take this opportunity to thank Il Buzzo for the Dev-C++ translation, so, yes, I hope very much the new plugin architecture is compatible Wink.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wee Jeroen thats great news, well it is untill I have troubles with my plug-ins.

If my idea works well it'll hope fully make DeleD even better for use with DBPro. Well if I can get per-pixel lighting to work in DBPro using a plug-in.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Wee Jeroen thats great news, well it is untill I have troubles with my plug-ins.

If my idea works well it'll hope fully make DeleD even better for use with DBPro. Well if I can get per-pixel lighting to work in DBPro using a plug-in.

So you can create DLL's using DarkBasicPro? I think you and I will need to test things through once I'm finished with the code in DeleD. I do the same with C++, II Buzzo will be testing that for me. Smile
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I mean you can create plug-ins in other languages for use with DBPro. I intend to write a light exporter (in C++) for use with DeleD, then a light importer for DBPro.

As it stands DBPro can only have 7 dynamic lights at any one time, this is in my opinion very restrictive, so what me and Khris want is to be able to have as many light sources as we want (we'll be useing DeleD to create, edit and position these lights around our levels).
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Well, it should not be any problem writing your plugin in C++. As you can see from II Buzzo's landscape plugin, it's perfectly possible to write your plugins in C++.

Btw, feel free to tell us a bit more of your plugin plans, Chris! Smile
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at Ill Buzzo's tutorials when I get round to doing the plug-in for DeleD, and I'll make sure that I keep you all informed about the progress with my lighting plan (after I kow what I'm doing that is Very Happy ). With any luck if it works it'll bring even more DBPro users over to DeleD.
Il Buzzo
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I want to point out that it's always possible to create a plugin for DBPro that reads lights from a DeleD file in C++ without the need of creating another plugin for DeleD, or you can create a DBO exporter for DeleD that exports lights in a separate file in a format used by you.
So I think you could start to write your light system by now if lights file format (ask Jeroen for this Laughing ) is not changed.
Anyway, as a DBPro developer myself , I wanted to solve this problem by creating dummy objects at the desired position and move lights only in the zone where my character is.
Is this similar to your idea?
Well , bye Very Happy .
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I hoped to do was create a plug-in for DBPro that will replace the exsisting DBPro dynamic lighting system. And enable the user to load all lights from a new file type (thats what the DeleD exporter is for) all in 1 command. The plug-in would then position each light in the file and set it up as it was in DeleD, hopefully allowing good dynamic lighting in DBPro with out to much restriction.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy to report that the new plugin architecture now allows you to create import and export plugins. It also has more robust errorhandling and validation code which means plugins will be handled more savely. Smile

I will finish the system now and start on plugin examples.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
I'm very happy to report that the new plugin architecture now allows you to create import and export plugins.

Then may I suggest a function we can call to triangulate a whole map before we get the data passed to our exporters? I haven't looked into the plugin stuff yet, so this may already exist. Very Happy Then ignore me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: