Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.Map export

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: .Map export Reply with quote

Has this been mentioned for any version... save as .map or export to .map .. maybe the Valve 220 format. That would open up DeleD to a huge possible market. It does seam so far as been a bit better then Hammer..as far as construction goes.

P.s. The scaling and manipulation of textures could possibly have some more visable options. Like an entry for X, Y and Z shift as well as scale.

K

I'll say sorry right now Smile ... I am possibly gonna be posting quite a lot as I start getting deeper into the functions Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: .Map export Reply with quote

kaylon wrote:
Has this been mentioned for any version... save as .map or export to .map .. maybe the Valve 220 format. That would open up DeleD to a huge possible market. It does seam so far as been a bit better then Hammer..as far as construction goes.

P.s. The scaling and manipulation of textures could possibly have some more visable options. Like an entry for X, Y and Z shift as well as scale.

K

I'll say sorry right now Smile ... I am possibly gonna be posting quite a lot as I start getting deeper into the functions Smile

What are the main differences between Hammer and DeleD?

I think I am going to create a "DeleD Feature Request" forum. Although I'm not sure how many more requests we can handle, given our current TODO list with like 244 items on it already... Laughing
kaylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main differance in my mind is....to use Hammer for commercial purposes or projects that use .map you have to license it ...

Hammer exports .map and mny engines use this format .. Hammer is possibly one of the better editors available to work with the format..but..you cannot use it for any commercial projects unless you buy it from valve.

And it costs a little more the £30 .. know what I mean...Indie developers need a .map editor that is flexible and feature rich, but does not cost $$$ ... DeleD 3d could well be that tool. Just expand the export functions a tad adn you would have a much bigger target audiance.

K.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaylon wrote:

And it costs a little more the £30 .. know what I mean...Indie developers need a .map editor that is flexible and feature rich, but does not cost $$$ ... DeleD 3d could well be that tool. Just expand the export functions a tad adn you would have a much bigger target audiance.

K.

What does Hammer cost anyway?
kaylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...that depends really...but a clue is..you can't just license Hammer...for commercial application and use of Hammer you need to License Source ... do you see where I'm going with his Smile

A single project license of Source is in the region of $250000.00..which is a little bit cheaper then Unreal 3 which currently sits at $325000.00 for the minimum packadge. We are usig Unreal 3 here at work...and yes, it's worth it, but we have the backing needed.

As you can see ..to use either Hammer...or Unreal Ed for a commercial project requires substancial backing and funding.

I'm looking for tools for personal projects and I simply cannot afford more then a few hundered pounds on tools...and preferably less Smile

So Far DeleD is quit competative to the features in Hammer ... and not bad even compared to UnrealEd (which is the BEST level editor known to man) and as it has some modelling features also does have the edge over most other level design tools available.

Now..I'm not saying go and make DeleD more expensive hehe...the price is it's selling point. Look at Torque ... the engine and basic editor for terran and missions is $100 ... that's very cheap compared to Unreal...however..they have sold 150000+ licenses..it's the most popular Indie game deve engine available...so they are doing very good business.

It's the price that brings people in...but there needs to be support tools..and so back to where this started...If DeleD had the option to also make .map format as well as direct to Torque levels it would allow Indie..hobbie and proffessionals to create content for commercial or prototyping projects and so open you up to the massive Indie dev and Mod customer base.

Novel finished..the end..and they all Modelled happly ever after...

K.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, why you dont use UnrealED anyway? It is a really powerful tool. And considering that you use the UE3, it wouldnt be productive using it with DeleD.

Wfr, Sindwiller
kaylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said..We are using U3 at work...I'm not using it for my personal projects as I can't afford the $350k to buy it Smile ..

I'm using Torque for myself and my home things and for some otehr related projects..and I need a capable editior as there is a void for .bsp/csg and .map editors.

I'd be very happy to be developing a personal game using U3 .. but alas I dont seam to have the extra $349900 needed for a commercial product Smile

K
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque sure has an built-in editor?

And besides, DeleD doesnt have any compiling-tools for BSP's... When you use BSP than i recommend you GtkRadiant.

But actually, doesnt Torque posses the option for octrees? Its much better when you want to render big worlds.

Wfr, Sindwiller
kaylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque uses .bsp based interior models in a portal system combineing outside rendering and inside... BUildings and structures are made and imported into the Torque editor...these buildings are .dif which is the Torque Internal version of a .map/bsp file ...and so an artist needs a tool capable of producing that format.

To date the olny tools avalaible are QuArk, Radiant, Hammer and 3 D World Studio ... QuArK is old..clustered and cumbersome and a night mare to set up ... Radiant is not user friendly at all and personally I hate it, Hammer cost a fortune to use for a commercial project and if your gonna pay for it, might as well develope using source.
3D world Studio shows promise but it has several issues that have not been resolved and so..here I am...looking a DeleD as a possible solution.

DeleD would be at first glance the perfect solution if it hade .map save/export/import.. Torque is on the way in 1.4 so im very happy about that, but the basic .map would be handy also.

K.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hammer cost a fortune to use for a commercial project and if your gonna pay for it

Actually, only the HL2 related Hammer version is binded to it (i think). You can use an older version of Hammer or just Worldcraft. Hammer is my personal favorite too... the reason is probably that i started mapping with him.

Have Fun with DeleD =) .

Wfr, Sindwiller
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaylon wrote:

DeleD would be at first glance the perfect solution if it hade .map save/export/import.. Torque is on the way in 1.4 so im very happy about that, but the basic .map would be handy also.

K.

Yep, we will first release 1.4, then concentrate on writing plugins for .map and .dif formats. As always... time... it's time we need! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: