Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutorial: Adding your own textures to a model

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Tutorial: Adding your own textures to a model Reply with quote

If you have any questions or remarks regarding the tutorial Adding your own textures to a model, post them in this thread!

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
nextdoorscat
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a go at it, but got a bit confused, with all the stuff about the layers, though, but I got there in the end! Very Happy

I couldn't drag the texture to the top left hand side like in the illustration. Maybe where I went wrong was that when I navigated to the textures folder in the directory, I thought it should be in its own subfolder so I created a folder in the texture directory called misc, put my texture in there, and when I opened DeleD and found the texture picker the texture was in the bottom pane in a new misc category, so I dragged it to the top pane, next to the system texture sphere. Then it appeared on it's own little sphere shape. But I still couldn't drag it to a layer.

Still, when I closed out the materials window there was my new texture sitting in its place at the side of the screen, and I was able to assign it to a primitive just like that. It automatically wrapped, I guess it has automatic UV's.

So now I can assign textures. Cool

And I like the eyeball.... Mr. Green
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked the eyeball Very Happy

By dragging the texture into the top right pane, you already created the material, so no need to do any dragging onto layers then. Glad that worked for you!

Before you can drag a texture onto a layer, you gotta first make sure you select an existing material (or create a new one). Once a material is selected, available layers for that material will become enabled in the left pane. Once enabled, you can drag textures from the bottom right panel to any layer on the left. Hmmm, that sounds more confusing than it actually is, hope it made sense somehow Smile

Oh, and in DeleD 'auto UV' is an Object property, not a material property. By default it is on for new objects, so yes, the new material will wrap Very Happy

(and yes, we do plan to do a dedicated material editor tutorial / reference in the future)
duckstab
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Exports with material ref to every tex in you deled folder Reply with quote

Hi got the engine last week nice bit of kit

Some thing thats giving me problems

When you export to .x and load into another app you discover that it has included references to all textures you have loaded into your material browser even if they were not used

this is creating media that makes further editing of the models in other applications very tiresome.

ie have my 120 favorite textures in the material browser use 2 textures on a cube when this is exported if contains 120 material refernces of which i only need 2

okay cpu are up to speed now but 118 texture references to nothing is a bit of a waist

and take into account that my game normals have 250-300 models to load
that sa maximun of 35700 null calls

thanks for you help in advance
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi duckstab,

Thanks for the feedback. You are completely right, that is a bit annoying. This issue has been reported before, and here are the steps we are going to take:

1. The .X exporter will be modified to only export the textures that are actually used (1.5x)
2. DeleD will get functionality to strip unused textures, so you could even do this manually if desired.

In the meanwhile, you might want to try JWatte's nuXporter (Windows XP only) to see if it better meets your .X exporting needs.

Hope that helps! Smile
duckstab
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your swift reply will have a look at the link in the mean time ive set a default dml with only system texture.

cheers
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: