Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightmapping in DeleD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Lightmapping in DeleD Reply with quote

I am working on integrating lightmapping into DeleD. Progress is slow but steady. The work-in-progress screenshot below shows two things, basically:
1. There are still one or two bugs left (working on them)
2. Even a simple test-light like this greatly enhances the atmosphere of a scene

Hope to have those last few bugs fixed really soon, so you guys can start playing around with it. We'll keep you posted!
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one paul Cool

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
dirkk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is! Now that I see it - go for it!
cmoibenlepro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! That's great! Very Happy

Don't give up! Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly is the light in the scene? In the second shot, the ceiling is completely lit up with no shadows, so the light should be between it and those two bridge things. It appears that they are casting shadows on the far left wall, but the bridges are in shadow too?

Is that the bug?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light is very close to the ceiling, just outside the upper right corner of the screenshot, in the middle of the z-axis (the bridges are on both sides of that axis) The basic brightness of the bridges is ok (the material is pretty dark, and the light is pretty much faded by the time it reaches the bridges), but you can see the strange triangle-shaped 'shadow' on the bridge closed to the viewer, in the middle of the screen... plus the fact that the huge wall on the far side of the scene is also dark, while I think there should be a bit of light on the right side.

By testing a bit, I found out that the thing is bugged with any surface that is non-planar (not aligned with one of the three fundamental planes), so it is very likely somewhere in my planar mapping routines. So that is why the bridges and the skewed walls would look wrong, and why the water would look right (including all shadows on those surfaces). At first sight there is nothing wrong with the lumel calculation, but no worries, I'll figure it out!

There is also still a number of small bugs in the actual integration with DeleD. I'm fixing these first, so Jeroen can 'validate' all code-changes I made to DeleD, while I fix the actual texturemapping routines (Parnassus code). Seems more efficient that way.

@Dirkk: thanks! I know it isn't exactly Gile[s], but I was quite pleased with things anyway, so I am very glad you approve.
cmoibenlepro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, will we need to buy a "DeleD Pro" to use this lightmapping system?
It seems very useful, so I hope it will be public. Wink
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine you wanting the lightmapping system to be in a freeware package because you will have a hard time finding a freeware package that does lighting. Wink Right now we're determining what to put in DeleD LITE. We might decide to put the lighting as a whole in the PRO version. We might also decide to have a smaller lightmapper (with less features) in the LITE version... we'll keep you posted.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: