Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightmapping in DeleD LITE

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lightmapping in DeleD LITE
LITE should contain full lightmapping without being able to export lightmaps
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
LITE should contain limited lightmapping (e.g only low-res lightmaps+pointlights) but with functionality to export lightmaps
76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 17

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Lightmapping in DeleD LITE Reply with quote

DeleD LITE will contain some form of lightmapping. However, in order to protect commercial interests, lightmapping in DeleD LITE won't be completely functional. Please answer the above question to give us an indication of what you would like to see in DeleD LITE. Smile

Last edited by Jeroen on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that's a very good question.
On the one hand, users couldn't try all those functions that come with DeleD Lightmapping, in case #2.
On the other hand, users can't integrate it into their engines and see how good it is, if you will behave like choice #1.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think choice 1 is kind of a waste of time for you and and your users.
-Edit-
I keep thinking that how I wrote that sounds offensive for some reason. Embarassed I just think that if you are going to take time to implement it, and it the users are going to have to sit and wait for the maps to be generated, might as well get some use out of them. Some of my old maps would take 6 hours for the lightmaps to be made. Can you imagine the reaction of users waiting that long for their lightmaps, and then finding out they can't even use them? You might turn people off from the project completetly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Vampyre_Dark:

First of all, let me say I voted for option #2 myself. But to play 'devil's advocate', there are applications like Gile[s] that succesfully use scheme #1, as it does give the user a chance to at least experience how it is to use all options. That is why we asked. But it seems to be a clear victory, so unless things change drastically, #2 it is.
sueastside

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not both?

Give the users the option to behold all the feature of the pro version, but only the option to save the more basic ...euh ...stuff.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand. Low rez lightmaps aren't that bad, and maybe the user wouldn't feel the need to purchase PRO.

In these shots, I had always used really low rez lightmaps(like 8x8 and 16x16) (and they still took hours to make), and it was the results always looked fine. I obviously never got crisp shadows, but were always good enough to light my maps and no one ever complained, or noticed. Smile
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Vampyre_Dark/Mapping%20Portfolio/Shot0073.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Vampyre_Dark/Mapping%20Portfolio/Shot0009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Vampyre_Dark/Mapping%20Portfolio/Shot0003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Vampyre_Dark/Mapping%20Portfolio/Shot0045.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Vampyre_Dark/Mapping%20Portfolio/Shot0037.jpg

Maybe it's too much to give away? Maybe there is a solution in the middle of the two?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Very Happy

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

granada wrote:
Nice pics Very Happy

dave

Just trying to provide some real world examples to back up my argument. Embarassed
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really nice examples. What applications did you use to create those scenes? I'd love to see more of your work in the Game Projects area. Smile

Anyway, we'll most likely will put low-res (16x16) lightmaps in the LITE version. The PRO version will support hi-res lightmaps at a very competitive price though. Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made them in embrace. That's a version of Radient for Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. It's not running in my own engine or anything like that. Most of the textures are from the game too. Very Happy So don't give me too much credit. There isn't much more than that to show, I never finsihed the project after almost 2 years of working on it. Most of the players had lef the game, and the ones that were left were just a bunch of lame hacker wanabes lol. So I dropped the project, and moved on.

What else will be in pro that won't be in PRO that won't be in LITE?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's obvious what people want so we'll be putting a limited version of the lightmapper in DeleD. Now aren't we being nice democrats on this? Laughing
gordonramp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's very Democratic and generous of you. The thing is that by making the Lite Version, Lightmap capable and Exportable, people can actually see what their Worlds will look like in their own programs. Unlike other Map Makers that are around where you don't know until you buy it.
Keep up the excellent work you guys, I'm looking forward to lighting up my Worlds in DeleD. Smile

gordonramp.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: