Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-Aliasing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Anti-Aliasing Reply with quote

I request new features that reduce aliasing/rouph edges be implemented. I noticed the aliasing was apperant no matter how good the hardware.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vox,

A question: why do you want to have anti-aliasing in a modeler? Of course your final rendering application (game engine, raytracer, render, etc.) may implement any anti-aliasing scheme you desire, but does it really aid in the modeling process?

FSAA and the likes are not terribly complicated to implement, but I don't think I've ever seen them in any modeling application, and I'd never considered it important, at all. If you (or anyone else) could provide us with some reasons why it is, that would be great!
mappy
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC3D provides an anti-aliasing option for its 3D viewport.
It just helps to have better screenshots, if for some reasons you don't want to render your model in your favorite raytracer ...
It's a good option, but of course a minor one.

Just my 2 cents Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an nvidia card you can make custom settings for DeleD and turn up the AA when it's running. I don't know what that will do to the 3d viewports though.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the ATI cards control panel also provides what you're talking about. But it's better to have that option inside the app itself, an option that you can check or uncheck as you want.
I only use the AA in AC3D for clean screenshots, otherwise it slows down my work too much.

I must say that I've never been bothered by any aliasing effect in DeleD.
Probably because what we usually do here are very low poly things (?).
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DeleD built-in screenshot system already supports anti-aliasing through 3x3 supersampling, no real need for FSAA there (unless you like the AA scheme your graphic card vendor offers better than ours, of course Very Happy). But I can understand it might a bit more pleasing on the eyes, and if you are not targeting aliased render solutions anyway, I can see how you would enjoy not seeing those pixelated edges ever again.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen them in any modeling application

AFAICR, it used to be that the big difference between Quadro and GeForce cards was that the former accelerated anti-aliased lines, and the latter didn't. The reason being that AutoCAD, 3dsmax, Maya and the like use anti-aliased lines for geometry to look better for the artists.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool, I didn't know that. But anti-aliased lines != full anti-aliasing (!= polygon smoothing, which is not an option)... I know you know all that, just trying to sum up the options here... Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: