Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old-ish video card lag

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Huck
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Old-ish video card lag Reply with quote

Hi all, long time no see.
I recently installed a new(cough) video card (ATI Rage Fury Maxx)
(Yes I know it's an oldy, though a slight improvement on my old Riva TNT2 Model 64)

Specs:
DirectX 7
64MB vRam
500 Mpixels/sec fill rate
Ramdac/Core clock/Mem clock: 300/125/143/Mhz

My old tnt2 ran Deled without any lag. But with the 'new'er card it's very laggy.

Drivers are at their latest
DirectX runtime installed is 9.0c

Another thing to note, I used to have an old Rage 128 Pro that also worked fine in Deled. A Rage Fury Maxx is a kind of "dual-core" GPU with two of these cores.

-Edit- Another important note. Other graphics applications (Including 3D modelers as well as games) work fine
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirectX version is kind of irrelevant. DeleD is an OpenGL application. It may be possible that your card doesn't support some extensions, or doesn't have a lot of texture units. Some features may be emulated in software because of this. You also might not be getting full 32 bit frame/depth buffers or textures.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. VD is right, most likely there is something wrong with the OpenGL support of that card. Sad

The article on Wikepedia about this card is an interesting read (bottom of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage). Note how they first tell you the ATI Rage 128 Pro had bad OpenGL compliance (something the early ATI cards are infamous for... they very much aimed at DX) ... and then in the end they tell you the fury maxx has two of those. By the way, I take it you are running windows 98 SE then? Google grouping on that card also leads to all sort of quotes about the OpenGL support being... sub-optimal, to say the least.

Unfortunately, if it's truely a driver/card issue there is not much we can do. If you can someout find out what the exact OpenGL statements are this card has trouble with, we might be able to do something, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. My advice would be to update to a better graphics card. Putting too much energy into a piece of hardware that sells on e-bay for $1.85 would be a bit over the top. Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
ATI Rage 128 Pro had bad OpenGL compliance
Hmm I think I actually have that exact card on the shelf here. Might not be the pro version, but what passed for OpenGL on that card was a special set of custom drivers that would allow Quake to run in OpenGL mode.
When you ran Quake2 in this OpenGL mode, it didn't actually look or behave like the normal OpenGL mode, it looked like software still, it was just hardware accelerated to some extent.

You are better off sticking with your NVidia card. They have always had excellent real OpenGL support.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange, with my card it seem the exact opposite. In most applications that let me chose between D3D and OpenGL, switching to D3D would be very unreliable, and the screen would flicker, and would get a great FPS hit. Whereas with OpenGL it runs seemlessly..
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Huck wrote:
Very strange, with my card it seem the exact opposite. In most applications that let me chose between D3D and OpenGL, switching to D3D would be very unreliable, and the screen would flicker, and would get a great FPS hit. Whereas with OpenGL it runs seemlessly..
I think that card predates DirectX7. Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: