Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New mapping direction.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guyon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: New mapping direction. Reply with quote

I have been looking at coding languages and how things are pieced together. Someone in another forum asked why Normal mapping would be important for DeleD. (We know why Normal mapping be better then bump. Right?) Here is my thoughts on a new direction for mapping.

Since DeleD has lights and can render; my next thoughts about baking and what can be done with textures. There are sometimes instances where I have to take a model in to a light mapping program to get the results I desire, but that could kill certain features I had in my modeler.

So if DeleD had Normal mapping, and well as in the future started a procedural library. You could then light it and be 100% ready to send it out to your programming language. Sort of a 1 stop shopping solution.

This would not only open up a market for procedural & Normal mapping textures but add a new dimension to a product that similarly priced competitors do not have.

I know a lot of effects are done "in game", but how many users actually do, or can do that? I want DeleD to be a leader.

Guyon
Guyon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an upstate to this post and a new direction to mapping here is more on my thoughts.

Procedurals can do things that regular mapping can't. Now with the joining forces with Nuclear Glory (Programming Suite) What if you (and them) made procedurals textures that you applied to your models that transferred to the Nuclear language?

That is a powerful combination that I do not think any one can offer.

Guyon
KudosCry
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never reach the quality of handmade textures with procedural textures. The reason is simple: computers don't have creativity. Procedural textures are a nice approach for demos and very large games like Spore and it would be a neat feature. But in the end it would consume too much time when there are other things that are more important (bone creation, normal mapping, additional 3d format support, etc.).

P.S.: I'd rather have an build in shader editor in DeleD than procedural texture support.
Guyon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what direction you are heading. At this point bone mapping is not of value to me, but I can see where it might be useful for you.

I can not see way you say that the quality of a procedural is lacking of quality compared to a hand made? Get close to your hand made and all you see are pixels. The new graphics cards are really moving in the right direction and for the right textures procedural are the way to go.

Although, saying that one type of textures is vastly superior to another is short sited. If one was that much better why do all of the big modelers support both?

P.S.: I wold rather have options to make choices Smile

Guyon
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procedural texturing is nice, but it's practical use in game-oriented modeling is limited. The main reason for this is control, or more precisely the lack thereof.

That's not to say it wouldn't be a nice thing to have, but I don't see it as 'the next big thing' for games etc.. The reason the major modelers support it is for rendering stills and animations (and even then, mostly for rendering wood and marble). Which is a direction that DeleD might be heading as well, eventually, but for now our main focus lies with game-oriented (and other realtime) 3D applications.

However, feel free to convince us otherwise! Some examples of practical use of procedural texturing in non-experimental games would help... Very Happy
Guyon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting points. But I am staring to see some procedurals like reflection and refractions staring to appear in demos.

Also Nuclear (You game engine partner), has procedruals on their to do list.

I am Also noticing that procedural support is on the horizon for the next gen graphic cards.

Sorry if I am too far sited Very Happy , but in my job I am the guy that has to guess what is to come, and beat our competition to it.
I will bet you guy a shiny nickle that you will be looking into this in the next two years anyway. Wink

Guyon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: