Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD Pro Linux

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KudosCry
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: DeleD Pro Linux Reply with quote

I'll make it short: I want DeleD Pro to run under Linux. I'll switch before the end of the year and I have already sorted out two applications (Nendo and Metasequoia - now I own the licenses but don't need them Rolling Eyes ). I have a feeling that it won't be that easy to port my texture toolchain over to linux but I'll do what I can. But without DeleD Pro I would have to use another tool for level building (and I don't know which, all the 3D apps for Linux are very good but are no level editors).
Mult OS is no option for me due to HDD space and the time it would take to reboot every time.
I don't mind if DeleD doesn't run natively on Linux, Cedega/Wine would be ok but as I said: I would highly appreciate it if I could DeleD Pro under Linux.

Cheers Smile
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't think that that will happen very soon, it might surely build a bridge to another user community, for there isn't so much variety in tools for OS like linux than for Windows.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't DeleD written in Delphi? The chances of that being Linux native would probably be between low and slim, in that case.

However, have you tried it with Wine? If so, what does it blow up on?
JPulham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't DeleD made in Delphi?
maybe Kylix or lazerus could be used to port it over???
Personally I love linux based work flow Very Happy

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DeleD is written in Delphi (Del=Delphi and eD=editor Wink). Porting DeleD to Linux is a lot of work. It would take us months to realise something workable, given the amount of time we have a week. Normal DeleD development would come to a halt if we wanted to get a Linux version ready within a reasonable amount of time. We think that's not what most other users would like very much, so it'll be a while before we decide to port stuff to Linux. Or Mac for that matter. We feel that only if a considerable amount of users would seriously consider DeleD to be their 3d editor of choice because it can be run on Linux and/or Mac, then a rewrite be a serious option. Now if we were a multi-million dollar company with a few programmers to spare, that would be another story. Laughing
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were a multimillion dollar company we would never consider investing those programmers into porting to linux, as trying to make any money on such tools in the linux world is ... a tough and risky business to say the least.

However, we are not a multimillion dollar company, we do like linux (and Mac!), and would really like this to happen, if there is enough demand for it and if someone is willing to donate us the couple of months in salary so we can spend the time away on some tropical island porting the code-base... Very Happy

JPulham: Kylix is dead (and never got the chance to evolve into a very usable product anyway), and porting to crossplatform freepascal source is... well, about as much work as porting an existing fullblown MSVC++ application to crossplatform GCC source I guess. Sure it is feasible (it would probably be our preferred route) but it definitely is a lot a work.
KudosCry
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we were a multimillion dollar company we would never consider investing those programmers into porting to linux, as trying to make any money on such tools in the linux world is ... a tough and risky business to say the least.

Probably exactly opposite. Why do you think has Maya Linux support? Or Softimage|XSI? Linux is often used as workstation in the game and render film industry.

You should have used Java to develop DeleD, then it would run nearly everywhere Wink
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then, it would be JaveD.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you think has Maya Linux support? Or Softimage|XSI?

Why do you think those packages cost thousands of dollars? :-)
KudosCry
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you think those packages cost thousands of dollars? Smile

1. Your answer makes no sense. We were speaking of multi million dollar companies and that they would not do Linux ports of their programs

2. XSI foundation is not thousands of dollars
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: