Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

collada exporter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: collada exporter Reply with quote

Hi there guys.

The collada files dont seem to show up in the feeling viewer.

They show up in the C4 level editor collada scene import loader,but dont show up when loaded Confused .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can other people test this,As it might be something I'me doing wrong. I'me new to the c4 engine Wink .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are not adding the .dae file extension when exporting your model.

C4 picks any file up that happens to be in the dae folder.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

granada wrote:
Can other people test this,As it might be something I'me doing wrong. I'me new to the c4 engine Wink .
I have nothing to test it with.
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It looks like you are not adding the .dae file extension when exporting your model.

This is paul's baby,i'le wait & see what he thinks Smile .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Gauntlet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the .dae is missing.
C4 loads up the material after all (one can select it in the material editor). But there doesn't seem to be any geometry loaded after importing the file.
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from the thread in the announcements section.

To get the model into C4
- Export the model remembering to add the .dae extension in the DAE export filename box.
- The dae file should go in the C4\Import\dae folder
- The tga file should go in the C4\Imort\tga folder
- Open C4
- Press ESC to remove the game interface
- Press tilde twice to open the menu bar
- Select New World from the tools menu
- Select Import Scene from the World menu
- Select the dae file and it should be displayed in the world (you can add the textures at this point, import the texture, select it in the material manager and Ctrl-M to add it to a selected model, or just leave it blank for the time being)
- Select Export model from the World menu
- Once saved, from the Tools menu select Open Model and the imported COLLADA model will be displayed in the Model Viewer.

Hope this helps

Cheers
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks james,got the model a simple box to show up in C4 but cant get the textures to show,i tried a few things from the C4 forum with no luck.
I'le keep trying Smile .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import the textures using Import Texture from the Tools menu. Make sure that it is 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 etc, you can have some other multiples, but start with these first. 24 and 32 bit .tga files work ok, if 32, you can specify to use the alpha channel for transparency, gloss etc. You can import a separate texture for normal maps and can generate horizon maps as well (although I'm not real sure how yet Wink )

If the .tga file is in the import\tga folder then it will show up in the Import Texture dialog. After importing, if the texture is not in the data\tex folder, then there has been an error importing.
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the material selected in the Material Manager, it will be displayed on the left hand side of the World Editor as the current Material. Select your model and press Ctrl-M to replace the model's existing Material with the new one.
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing the thread from the Announcements section.

I've used the optimize function on the model and it certainly helps, and it has left me with one open face which is not missing in the editor, but is missing in C4 and Feeling Viewer.

Anyone else had any problems ?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, good point about the file extension guys... I never even considered that users would not type the .dae extension at the end of the file name themselves. Will fix it, thanks!

Second, the 'missing faces'. I haven't encountered that problem yet with the default DeleD models I tested with. James, could you send me that dmf with the missing face (or any other model that has a similar problem after exporting it to collada)? My e-mail address is paul [at] delgine [dot] com.

James: Great step-by-step plan to get collada files to show up in C4! So if I understand you correctly, I always have to take some manual steps to apply the textures/materials to the model? That's hardly convenient, would there be any way to make this process a bit easier for the user?

Gauntlet: If you follow the step-by-step JamesH posted above, do you get the geometry to show up? Make sure you get the scale right, otherwise your objects will end up way too big (compared to the default world in the collada demo, that is). I used a scale of 0.01 during my tests.

Vampyre: If you feel like messing about with collada & C4, you can use the C4 demo (which is a free download) to test things with. The feelings viewer is also free, but requires registration.
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the process of applying textures is a pain at the moment, but Eric is working on a new World Editor as we speak (due for a 31 Dec release) that has been completely overhauled, the textures should hopefully be applyable in the perspective viewport.

I think that if the texture exists in the Material Manager prior to importing the model, the model is automatically textured.

The demo has the WorldEditor included, but the material manager and the model viewer are not included unfortunately. But, you can create a new World and import the Scene at least.
Gauntlet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul: Yeah. I saw that my normal cube was way too big to be seen in the C4 editor .. I recognized that after using a more complex model.
So it imports fine, I also can add the material without a problem - no missing faces thus far.
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a question over at Terathon to find out if anyone knows of a COLLADA file checker that can possibly look for potential problem areas, as I have one model that looks ok in the Feeling Viewer but not in C4. It's the prefab chair exported.

http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1578
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: