Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

collada exporter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesH
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

collada wrote:
The COLLADA Refinery at sourceforge includes a Coherency Checker

I found that a couple of weeks ago, it's proving invaluable, thanks.
collada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more information about all the available tools/contributions, please visit collada.org.

Refinery is a tool, with a user interface written in Java for portability, that let you combine conditioners (C++ applets) into a processing pipeline. Once you have a working conditioning pipeline you can save it as a macro, and run it in a batch mode that you can include in your build process.

Khronos has announced a COLLADA contest. To participate in this contest (and maybe win a PS3 and a trip to SigGraph), you will have to write a conditioner for your specific development needs. For example, a conditioner to help with the integration with C4 engine ...
Greg_Corson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I work at Sony R&D and provide technical support for people writing COLLADA exporters.

Your exporter looks like it's working pretty good so far, but I would suggest you fix two items.

1. When you output filenames into your <image><init_from> tags, these need to be URI's not windows paths. At a minimum you need to convert backwards slashes to forward slashes and convert spaces (and other special characters) to the escaped version (ie: space=%20). So this example from an export I did:

C:\Documents and Settings\gcorson\Desktop\Delgine test\buildingpack1\Textures\Frauenkirche\system.bmp

Should actually look more like this:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/gcorson/Desktop/Delgine%20test buildingpack1/Textures/Frauenkirche/system.bmp

Some importers will still work if you give them a windows path with backslashes and spaces, but many will not, so it's best to get the URI correct if you can.

2. You probably want the option to output relative paths to textures. If you export absolute URIs and someone moves the folder containing the files to another place or another computer, the files will fail to load. The best way around this is to have paths to the texture that are relative to the location of the .dae file you are exporting. So if you assume the .dae file in the above example is in the "buildingpack1" directory the relative path would look like this:

./Textures/Frauenkirche/system.bmp

This is nice because if you keep your dae files and textures in the same folder hierarchy, you can move the entire hierarchy to another computer or another drive and you will still be able to load the files ok.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about COLLADA implementation.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it is much appreciated! Our Collada Exporter is still rather "young" (in terms of development hours), we depend on user response to grow it into the right direction.

1. You are right, I'll get this fixed. I am not sure if it's perfectly legal to mix the file:// prefix with relative paths, but I'll figure it out Very Happy [edit]OK, file:// should be omitted when using relative paths[/edit]

2. I find your report about relative v.s. absolute paths kind of puzzling, as far as I am aware the exporter already uses relative paths. For example, I just exported one of our models, and output the textures to a subfolder. Here is what the exporter wrote into the collada file:
Quote:
<init_from>Textures\Floor04.jpg</init_from>

Aside from not having the correct URI form (backward slashes, starts from root in stead of current path), it definitely looks like a relative path. Could it be you stumbled upon some bug? Could you perhaps provide me with the exact paths you used for output and textures? I'll do a little debugging to see if I can reproduce this...

Thanks again!

p.s. Collada: I can only agree that the refinery is indeed a very nice and extremely powerful tool.... though for a quick Coherency Check it can be a bit overwhelming at first. In my opinion, the refinery approach is great for 'collada power users', but as a developer of a modeling package, I never wanted to become a power user... I just wanted to write a proper export with the least possible hassle Very Happy
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just released a new version of the plugin that addresses the forward slashes issue. It fixes a nasty bug in the triangulation routines as well.

I haven't been able to reproduce the absolute paths problem. If you have any more information on this issue, let me know!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: