Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazing CryEngine2 Level Editor

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vijchti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Amazing CryEngine2 Level Editor Reply with quote

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/9866

*gasp*

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't watch past 5:15 for some reason.

But big deal. It's just graphics. Show me new gameplay. It's still Quake with dynamic shadows until then. Laughing We solved the graphics problem like 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm a sucker for dynamic lighting, then. Very Happy

Here's a video showing off actual gameplay. It's cool and all, but I'm always more interested in the level editing software.

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a lot of the GDC videos. I'm more impressed by innovation rather than things that require expensive upgrades to play the same game over again.

Updating the shadow of a palm tree that got shot down doesn't make the GAME any better. I don't see the reason to get excited that it can render 60 kilometers of water and trees.

Having real 3d clouds instead of a texture map doesn't impress me. The game is about walking around terrain and shooting people who stand there, and shoot directly back at you until they die. How does spending cpu and gpu cycles simulating clouds help that?

The new mario game that flips back and forth from a 2D game to a 3D one looks awesome. That was impressive. Watch that video on the link you posted. It's > *

PS3 HOME impressed the hell out of me. The FREE XBox live killer.

Not saying that stuff looked BAD, but it's overly highend stuff, to render what will end up being mostl likely a simple and a unimpressive game.

GUITAR HERO was innovation.... This new engine is simply a reason to sell new GeForces. Laughing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a game player, I agree with Vampyre Dark, but as a developer I'll definitely have to say... *GASP*. If you stop and realize how much work (and math) it is to actually develop a sky system like that, I don't think you have much choice but to be impressed with it.
TenTerHooK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...unfreaking believable....

I know graphics doesnt make a game but it doesnt hurt either and it tends to appeal to people to a degree (even those who claim it doesnt make a game).

The thing is that the physics engine in that game does actual effect gameplay! ...so does the voxel editing.

As a game developer I realise caves are a chore to add to terrain in most engines at present.

The one idea that springs to mind for me is a battlefield game with those kind of physics.
Tanks that drive through walls!
Destructible trees!
Atomic bomb effects!
Component destruction on vehicles! (which was actually around since interstate 76 and b4 but you dont see it much as it takes so much effort)
gearedmah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG...that editor is SOOOOO sweet...that is just ridiculous!! I was actually just starting to wonder if some of the things I have planned for my game were even possible...and this engine proves it can be done!! The day/night shading?? OMG...that alone is sick...caves and overhangs?? Graphics are definately not the be all end all of games, but REALISM is a HUGE part...and God knows that in reality there are caves and overhangs...this editor makes it SO simple...and roads?? Oh man...I gotta have this editor!!
Now whether or not the next FarCry will be any good?? I don't care...I'm not thinking about what they're doing with it, but rather WHAT I COULD DO WITH IT!! ha ha ha...
rogue72

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suprise to see pople knocking games that actually push the envolope rather
than just reuse it, this engine surely is a leap forward comapared to the same old tech4
& unreal 2 engine games were currently flooded with

and comparing this level creation tool with such are unreal-ed or hammer
(ie level tool distributed with games) surely no comparasion

and yeah FPS isnt anything new, can you name the last inovative (PC) game

how about
manic miner +/-1982 started the platform genre
wolfenstien +/- 1992 started the fps genre
(lemmings possibly as a puzzler)

guiatr hero ?, just doing what ddr did 10 years ago on ps1

arnt they the only 2 origanal game ever then?
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I see games as stories. I want to experience the story. I think immersive technologies (not the company :-) help a lot with that, be it 6.1 surround sound or high-end graphics or controller vibration. Compare movies: there are some really innovative movies at times, but most of the time, the movie structure is quite well known. That doesn't make the story in the movies, told in those structures, less valuable.

(Btw: boo-hiss on PS/3; I didn't know the sixaxis didn't have vibrate when I bought for of them half a year ago, and now I'll have to buy another four -- at 50 bucks a pop. Eek! Maybe I'll just buy all my games on the Xbox instead. But that's off topic :-)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatte wrote:
(Btw: boo-hiss on PS/3; I didn't know the sixaxis didn't have vibrate when I bought for of them half a year ago, and now I'll have to buy another four -- at 50 bucks a pop. Eek! Maybe I'll just buy all my games on the Xbox instead. But that's off topic Smile
I always turn rumble off. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defo agree on the story , one of my favs is the halflife 2 & ep's

the story to that beats most movie plot hands down
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue72 wrote:
I defo agree on the story , one of my favs is the halflife 2 & ep's

the story to that beats most movie plot hands down

I have a personal outlook summed up by the rule of three:

A great game has the following...

....Great Gameplay....Great Story....Great Music

Not necessarily in that order (but I'd say usually). This also is applied to movies, with gameplay being substituted by great acting.

The first two are an obvious...but I'm sure many wouldn't totally agree on the last, but I personally feel music is just as important as the "fun" factor of a game - mostly when you're telling a story (obviously, marty o'donnel's great game score wouldn't make or break halo multiplayer Very Happy). It sets the mood in most cases, and aids in drawing the player into the world - so it enhances the fun factor.

This even applies to old school games...take Mario...the Mario theme is timeless, so is space invaders...despite these not being orchestral compositions.

Anyways, graphics isn't on my list...it's nice to have a pretty and appealing world, but there are other elements that are important as well...but I don't think many of them are as important as the big three I outlined above. Of course...if you have sub-par graphics that are so bad they detract from the immersion, or clunky controls and clunky interfaces...etc the game obviously won't be as fun, so many elements really make up how fun a game is. The ironic part is, when those elements go rather unnoticed by the player, who is simply enjoying the game, having fun, and wanting more - the developer did his job, and created a good product.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:

A great game has the following...

....Great Gameplay....Great Story....Great Music

Couldn't agree more. And I definately agree on music being equally important (if not more) compared to the other two. My favorite game of all times is Ultima Underworld, a 3D RPG originating in 1992 (!). I haven't played another game since then that had that great a music score to set just the correct mood. Smile
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:

My favorite game of all times is Ultima Underworld, a 3D RPG originating in 1992 (!). I haven't played another game since then that had that great a music score to set just the correct mood. Smile

Whooho, Ultima Series rules. I've played Crysis - and it's a very good-looking game (not from Epic, id, or Bethesda...) which shows the real power of the PC as a gaming platform but besides the graphics, there is nothing special at Crysis (Look at Call of Duty 4 - It uses a modified engine from CoD2 !). Well but i'm more the Unreal Tournament 3 Player (my personal game of the Year).
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I'm not talking about the Ultima series actually! I'm talking about Ultima Underworld 1 & 2. Smile These games stand apart from the Ultima series, which I haven't played so I don't know how good they are.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: