Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.RAW Exporter

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: .RAW Exporter Reply with quote

So! Here's an ultra simple exporter for an ultra simple file format.
There may be problems with other tools when exporting colors or object names, but that's what the options are for.

There also may be problems when using the exporter multiple times during a DeleD session, I don't exactly know why, but DeleD just closed itself several times. Let's observe these things!

So anyway, here it is:
Download

//edit
Oh, forgot to say, this is my first plugin and I'm not a professional programmer, so there might be problems I've never even thought of.

Last edited by Mr.Fletcher on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this is potentially great stuff. Here is some preliminary feedback (preliminary because I have to get my development version of 1.7 to compile in order to actually test it *lol*):

1) Your exporter requires DeleD 1.7, which might be a bit too steep a requirement for anyone who isn't in the beta program (i.e. the plugin doesn't even show up). You might want to ease that down to 1.61 (assuming your plugin works well with that version).

2) Do you have some info/links/etc about what the .RAW file actually is, what it is used for and/or how I can use it? I'm not familiar with the format.

3) It would be great if you could wrap up your exporter in a nice little zip file with a readme.txt (or any other documentation).

I'll post more feedback soon. Thanks for the effort you put into this!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More detailed feedback:

1. The export process itself seems to work flawelessly (haven't loaded in the .RAW's yet). Nice.

2. When I type in the name 'test.raw' into the save dialog (I always type in the extension manually), my file gets the name 'test.raw.raw'. I'd rather have it not mess with my extension if I alread provided one.

3. The position of the form is a bit to the left of the center. I am guessing you made this in Delphi, and still have your form at poDesigned. poScreenCenter or poDesktopCenter might be a better choice.

4. The form can be 'sized' by dragging the lower right corner (or even maximized), but none of the controls scale/move. I usually set the borderstyle to dialog. This also solves the 'problem' with the empty icon in the caption bar.

As always, these are just suggestions, feel free to ignore them at any time... and shout when you feel the plugin is ready to be put up on our download pages, because we definitely want it there... Very Happy
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're completely right, of course Very Happy

Quote:
2. When I type in the name 'test.raw' into the save dialog (I always type in the extension manually), my file gets the name 'test.raw.raw'. I'd rather have it not mess with my extension if I alread provided one.

Yes, I should have tested this. Fixed.

Quote:
3. The position of the form is a bit to the left of the center. I am guessing you made this in Delphi, and still have your form at poDesigned. poScreenCenter or poDesktopCenter might be a better choice.

4. The form can be 'sized' by dragging the lower right corner (or even maximized), but none of the controls scale/move. I usually set the borderstyle to dialog. This also solves the 'problem' with the empty icon in the caption bar.

You're right, I thought of this during programming but forgot to change it. Fixed now.

Quote:
1) Your exporter requires DeleD 1.7, which might be a bit too steep a requirement for anyone who isn't in the beta program (i.e. the plugin doesn't even show up). You might want to ease that down to 1.61 (assuming your plugin works well with that version).

Ah, I thought this is just for the users information and it would be ignored by DeleD. Changed to 1.61

Also, I made a .zip file with a readme text file in it. Here it is.

The .RAW triangle format seems to be used by POV-Ray, but it's importable by a number of other programs, such as Blender 3D and Milkshape! It's probably because it's a very easy format. See the specifications here:
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/povraw/
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top job!

I just put it online in our own plugin section. If you want anything changed, or sample images added, just yell! Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: