Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to get scene name and file

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Need to get scene name and file Reply with quote

For the NuXporter, I would like getting the scene name and the scene file path through the XML API.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... wind ... tumbleweeds ...
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, another post I missed... Confused Will work on this one a.s.a.p!

Do you mean the scene filename or the name as found in the scene properties? I assume the latter when also assuming the scene file path contains the filename already.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get both :-)
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene name is already in the xml, in scene.settings.name (I think Jeroen might have meant to say this in his post above, but I'm not sure). We could add the filename to those settings as well (although I kinda liked the plugins not knowing/caring whether there was a physical source file).
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I kinda liked the plugins not knowing/caring whether there was a physical source file

The reason I want the file name is two-fold:

1) I include the original source file name as a comment in the exported file. Great for tracking down the source of an asset!

2) I suggest a new exported name based on the base name of the map file. It's easy to leave the scene name unchanged, but it's harder to leave the map file name undefined :-)

Also, for real art production set-ups, you'll want plug-ins that integrate with source control and asset management -- at that point, the physical location of the map matters very much!

Also, programmatic access to all the various preferences would be great. When opening a specific map, you might want to re-set the texture and prefab paths to something related, for example.

The addition to get a callback whenever various commands happen, too (open/save/etc) would also be useful in such a situation. That way, someone could integrate DeleD into a real production art path. However, maybe nobody's trying to do that right now, so I don't know how many users it'd drive to the app in the near term.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as we know not too many users are trying to integrate DeleD into their production process to that extend (most just want to use it as a lightweight one-click alternative modeling package), I think 99/100 are modelers that just want to spend their time modeling, can't be bothered to download separate plugins unless they truely absolutely need them, let alone develop new ones to extend the functionality... but I think what our other users want is our "problem", not yours. You want/need the application to be more extendible, so do make sure to keep hammering your requests for a more complete plugin system into our heads. If an extended plugin system attracts more quality plugin builders, that'd be great.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't get a quality plug-in built if there's no API to build it on!

Again, what I keep saying is that, if you structure DeleD so that your own commands are plug-ins, the API will come of itself. Maybe try to make each new command/feature as a plug-in, and only re-factor/move the bits you need to change to enable that one command, as a start? The incremental effort there should be minimal.

Perhaps I'm saying that you guys are aiming too low :-)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
If an extended plugin system attracts more quality plugin builders, that'd be great.

That's true. The biggest problem is resources. We both have a limited amount of time available and putting that time in the plugin API while we're not sure there's a definite demand for an extended API (JWatte is the only programmer pushing us for it right now) seems like a rather big risk to me. Now, we know most of our users are modellers so putting most of our time in extending/improving DeleD's modeling capabilities seems like a good idea.
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm saying is, if you think of yourself as plug-in developers, you wouldn't spend any "extra" time developing such an API. And I think you can start developing new commands (say, the "double" command for triangles) as plug-ins without necessarily spend a whole lot of time making an API first. In my opinion, it's mostly about a mind-set.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm okay, I just read into the whole plugin thing and tried it out and it would be really great if you had
a) access to the selection of sub-items like polygons, edges, vertices
b) access to deled commands.
with a+b combined, there would be a lot more possible than today Very Happy
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fletcher, you're repeating a whole thread of communication I've had with them over the last year or so. I'm glad I'm getting some support on this :-)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: