Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exporting Lightmaps (i am a noob)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willakan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Exporting Lightmaps (i am a noob) Reply with quote

When you lightmap a scene in DeleD Lite, and then export it using the DeleD x. exporter, the lighmaps don't show up on the model you export, just the plain textures? How can I export the lighmaps too? Crying or Very sad
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use the X exporter and you want to apply the lightmap on it you need to tell that your engine. Be sure that all the Lightmap files are in your export folder.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DirectX .X file format does not support multitexturing out-of-the-box, so usually you are out of luck trying to get a lightmap when using the .X file format.

JWatte has written a extended exporter that does support multiple texture layers through the use of DeclData. Most rendering applications will simply ignore this, but if your rendering application can handle this, it might help you out. You'll find the exporter here:

http://www.mindcontrol.org/~hplus/graphics/nuxporter.html

Good luck, let us know how things turn out!
Willakan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea whether applications coded in Dark Basic Pro will recognise the data, anyone? Smile
Willakan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if not, is there any way i could bake the lightmaps into the textures? Question
Willakan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the plugin doesn't happen to only work for Deled Pro, does it, because I use lite for the moment (no cash to go pro)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willakan wrote:
the plugin doesn't happen to only work for Deled Pro, does it, because I use lite for the moment (no cash to go pro)

The DirectX plugin works for both LITE and PRO.

The Torque Export plugin has a free version but its full version is PRO only.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, as far as I know Dark Basic Pro will not recognize the data. Coincidentally, Darkbasic uses a unique (but not very good) technique to support lightmaps in .X files: it allows you to load two separate .X files (one normal, one with the lightmap), and will paste one transparently onto the other.

Unfortunately, as Dark Basic Pro is the only application that supports lightmapping this way, we never built support for it into the .X exporter.

DeleD doesn't support baking the lightmap into the textures. Baked lightmaps quickly become huge, so this technique has very limited use.

That said, one of our community elders, Il Buzzo, has created a DBO exporter (the native Darkbasic format) that handles lightmaps properly, for an outdated DeleD version. If you ask him nicely, perhaps he might find the time to port it to the recent plugin structure, and all your problems would be solved. Hope that helps!
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Unfortunately, as Dark Basic Pro is the only application that supports lightmapping this way, we never built support for it into the .X exporter.

Hi! I know it has been requested before and i also love to see this feature. Exporting lightmap uvs is a weak point of DeleD. Engine developers could also extract the uvs from the second .x file and use it for multitexturing.

Btw.: It there a chance that you make some plugins open source?
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NuXporter exporter for DeleD is open source already.

http://code.google.com/p/nuxporter/

Also note that I recently made my .X exporter for 3ds Max open source; it might be a source of inspiration if you're working with the .X file format. http://kwxport.sourceforge.net/

Last, any application that uses the ID3DXMesh interface "should" work with the light-mapped .X files, as the D3DX mesh loader does the right thing with the DeclData and the multiple texture layers in the material. Only engines that parse the file on their own may have trouble with that, as their implementation is often incomplete.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last, any application that uses the ID3DXMesh interface "should" work with the light-mapped .X files

Good point. It would be nice to compose a list of what engines do and what engines don't support this. It would also be nice if someone other than me (or you) found the time to do so... Very Happy
Willakan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a go with the DBO exporter. I am very glad to say that the lighmaps exported perfectly; I can now use my DeleD models in my game engine! Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Very Happy

Now show us some pics! Twisted Evil Razz
Willakan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, screenshot coming up. Brace yourselves, it isn't exactly brilliant, but then I am mass producing areas for a MMO. This is the central squarwe of a village. You can see the grid I used for the terrain stretching off into the distance, ready to be filled with rubbish.

EDIT: here's the picture. (deep breath)Please don't be too harsh! Embarassed I've only had DeleD for a few weeks and this is my first proper model...

It is pretty crap, but hey, I'm getting better...
Also, there are two towers off screen, with flaming torches
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a pic here. Crying or Very sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: