Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dauntless Rogue

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anteater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Dauntless Rogue Reply with quote

Dauntless Rogue is an open source single player RPG inspired by older "dungeon crawl" games. I used DeleD for the levels, and Misfit Model 3D for other stuff. Most of the textures are from DeleD's texture library.
Here's the link.

Most of the enemy models aren't my own but rather freely available ones from either Psionic 3D or Basil Studios.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work there, Anteater. Smile
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading as we speak, looks like great stuff... I just love dungeon crawls and roguelikes! I'll post a detailed report on the game once I've had a chance to play it...!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick run through the dungeon, here are my experiences:
- High resolution doesn't work for me, the console shows

Quote:

D:\Games\Indie\Dauntless Rogue>engine.exe
PROGRAM WILL RUN IN HIGH RESOLUTION MODE.
Irrlicht Engine version 1.3.1
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Using renderer: Direct3D 9.0
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.8602
Was not able to create Direct3D9 device.
Was not able to create DIRECT3D9 device.
Could not create DIRECT3D9 Driver.
irrKlang 3D Sound Engine version 0.7
Using DirectSound driver

And then a nice window XP error box pops up, with a C0000005 error deep down in the details. I'm on a Gefore6600 Go, on a laptop, running at a widescreen 1440x900 resolution.

That low resolution version worked fine though, so I was a happy crawler. Below are my comments, most of them are 'negative' (things I think could use improvement), but's only because I can say "good job!" only in so many ways... and that's what you did, you did a great job getting this where it is now!

1. Love the dungeon look, especially the 'tall' size of the walls, they really look like hallways.
2. I don't understand the default magic, I never know where the magic ends up. It seems to auto-aim for the bad guys a lot, although sometimes it kills them with one blast, while usually it seems to take three hits.
3. Took me a while to figure out that I could get out of pause mode by pressing 'back'. Using the right mouse button for pause feels a bit strange anyway. I rarely pause a game, but I do use magic a lot, and for that I have to use the middle button, which is some fiddly scrollwheel thingy with this laptop mouse (i.e. awkward to press).
4. I don't really like the font and colors used all over the GUI much, it looks like "time new roman", and the colors of the font look like the 16 EGA colors.
5. Because I don't see my hands/weapons/etc, I am never sure whether I am actually hitting something.
6. If I press "L" to look around, sometimes I hear a sound, sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if I am supposed to press it once or a lot, because it doesn't give me too much feedback (just noticed the red font confirming that I *am* pressing the button, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing). I only found over a dead enemy once (some spell scroll), and I didn't see how it influenced my magic when I selected it through Z.
7. Is there any way to replenish my magic and hitpoints? I mainly use all of my magic until it's gone, and then I am toast.
8. Once I get to the second 'level' (the one with the white energy sphere-like thingies), I'm at a total loss what I should do. Also, I wasted all my magic in the first level, so I die pretty soon. Rolling Eyes

All in all, I had a lot of fun, but very much clueless fun. Sounds like the story of my life... Very Happy
Anteater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! Most of the criticism I've had is along the same lines as what you mentioned, so now I know exactly what to fix/change.

PS: I like Times New Roman. Laughing
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then by all means keep it Times New Roman. I am all for artistic freedom, especially if you are providing it for free anyway! Very Happy
Anteater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I updated the game, fixing most of the problems you mentioned, as well as some other problems (enemies no longer try to run inside of you now and hit detection is better). Also, while it's not mentioned in the manual or help screens, the shift key now casts magic as well as the middle mouse button (thank you for mentioning that; I wasn't thinking about laptop computers when I designed the controls). There are still a couple bugs in it here or there but the game 'works', so now I'm gonna give this one a break and start working on my 4e6 entry.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD User Game Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: