Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallax and Normal mapping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adar
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Parallax and Normal mapping Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for Parallax and Normal mapping to be made possible in deled so I could buy the pro version Laughing
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are such things important for a modeller ? All these things happens in your engine.
Adar
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturn wrote:
Why are such things important for a modeller ? All these things happens in your engine.

Well yes but they need to be configured in the model as different map types so the engine would recognize their differences and not just consider them as regular textures..
Besides, you want to see your result while you model and not after you finish cause it might look different than you originally thought.
Andreas233223

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody please explain what the difference is between bumpmaping, parallx mapping and normal mapping? They all seem similar to me. Confused
Edit: i forgot specular mapping.
please explain
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically just how your texture looks like when it's beeing displayed, so not much of great importance when it comes to modeling.
The configuration can be done via material user tag though, I think.
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why are such things important for a modeller

because it's a huge part in the future of moddeling, all new games have normal maps etc. so they are very important. but i think we don't neccessary have to see them within deled, but some way to make them ass a third texture layer (image is one, lightmap two, maps three) so that the engine can see them would be nice to have? if it's already possible could someone explain how to do it?

EDIT: a quote from jeroen:

Quote:
Most likely, I will be the one concentrating on basic animation and Paul-Jan will be working on other stuff, which might also include normal mapping. I can't go into details yet though, because we have to figure out what it is we want to implement exactly. The idea, however, is to offer animation and a whole lot more in the DeleD 2.0 release.

so we'll see when 2.0 comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Basiror
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal map stored the normals of the surface on per texel basis

when evaluating the lighting equations normal*lightvector gives the reflectance of incoming light (see specular highlights)

bump mapping is nearly the same as normal mapping, except that the normal is calculated with use of the gradient of the bump map

parallax mapping goes one step further, it makes use of a bump map/height map and traces in polygon space a ray from the light source to the surface of the height map in polygon space and uses the result as a displacement factor for the texture lookup, thats quite an expensive operations since repeated texture lookups stall the fragment programs and result in increases computation time

a texture lookup with filtering costs several hundred cycles, a floating point multiplication only 8 cycles

the red dots represent the usual texture coordinates
the blue ones represent the texture coordinates used to sample the texture that is applied to the current fragment/pixel

Adar
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone know if it's going to be implemented in Deled anytime soon? or if not at least about when? Shocked

Here's an example showing the difference between Texture mapped, Normal mapped, Parallax mapped & Steep parallax mapped:
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, note to anyone who wants to see Normal Mapping (& co) implemented, please describe your (desired) art pipeline so we can get to a practical solution. We could simply add a 'normal map' layer type to the material, but that will not help you much if it doesn't show up in your game, now does it? Very Happy

So
1. What engine do you plan to use use, and how does it handle normal maps?
2. What file format do you plan on using to export to that engine, and how does it handle normal maps?

I completely agree it would be nice to have WYSIWIG support for these 'more advanced' material laye rtypes, but actually being able to use your models and scenes is much more important imho.

p.s. One possible answer to those questions could be (1) 'generic shaders', and (2) 'a file format that is not yet supported by any of the exporters, supporting arbitary shaders'.
Adar
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
1. What engine do you plan to use use, and how does it handle normal maps?

Realm Crafter Pro, I believe the engine would just ask what kind of texture file it is when you upload it.. so 1 would be a regular texture and the other would be the normal/parallax map.
RealmCrafter Pro is going to support pixel shading effects..
Quote:
2. What file format do you plan on using to export to that engine, and how does it handle normal maps?

Definitely b3d.

What about parallax, if the normal mapping support is out would other map types be supported as well?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B3D does supports Dot3 normal mapping, so that's good news. Heck, I could modify the Blitz3D exporter to read out the material tag, and have you specify "layer1 normal" there, and then you would have normal mapping support right now. So that's one option. Just not wysiwig.

B3D only supports Dot3 normal mapping, so if you wanted to use any of the other mapping types, how is RealmCrafter going to know what to do with the texture?
Adar
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
B3D does supports Dot3 normal mapping, so that's good news. Heck, I could modify the Blitz3D exporter to read out the material tag, and have you specify "layer1 normal" there, and then you would have normal mapping support right now. So that's one option. Just not wysiwig.

B3D only supports Dot3 normal mapping, so if you wanted to use any of the other mapping types, how is RealmCrafter going to know what to do with the texture?

I will be responsible for applying the textures to the correct channel. However, to activate the parallax mapping, I will need to select the correct shader within the media manager in Realm Crafter. I will also need to check the "Build mesh tangents" check box.
I hope that answers your question Razz
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
because it's a huge part in the future of moddeling, all new games have normal maps etc. so they are very important. but i think we don't neccessary have to see them within deled, but some way to make them ass a third texture layer (image is one, lightmap two, maps three) so that the engine can see them would be nice to have? if it's already possible could someone explain how to do it?

In games (especially after Doom III) very much games used tesselation between a multi-million polygon source model and a lowpoly version, generated the Normal,displacement-maps etc from the source model. Since NVidia and ATI have their crappy dot3 normalmapper (not included crazybump - great piece of software) most used Modellers like Zbrush, Maya or Mudbox for this sort of things.
Adar
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturn wrote:
elementrix wrote:

In games (especially after Doom III) very much games used tesselation between a multi-million polygon source model and a lowpoly version, generated the Normal,displacement-maps etc from the source model. Since NVidia and ATI have their crappy dot3 normalmapper (not included crazybump - great piece of software) most used Modellers like Zbrush, Maya or Mudbox for this sort of things.

For the characters I'm using zBrush for example.. but for deled I would use CrazyBump or Photoshop
Willakan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That would be very useful for me as well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: