Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting nowhere
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abcd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Getting nowhere Reply with quote

I have had the lite version on my computer for about a month now and can't seem to get anything done. It is very frustrating.

Shift and left click never seems to select anything.

Right now I am going through this tutorial

http://www.delgine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2087

step by step but all that happens is that the button reverts from polygon mode (the triangle) back to create mode (the cube.) I click once in the centre of the created object while holding down the shift button and nothing happens. I've tried all sorts of things; edges of the cube, different windows but nothing turns red.

Is there any way for the programmers to change the selection from shift click to straight forward left click? Most other 3d programs manage that without any problems.
case_ncty
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to select an object you have to be in 'OBJECT MODE ' (the mode looking like a cube ion the edit panel)

when the object is selected it may turn red or whatever color you choose in the options you can then see is vertices in 3D View instead of the plain textured view

when the object is selected you can switch to other edit mode.

you can't select an edit mode like vertice or face editing if you don't previously selected an object

http://www.delgine.com/wiki/index.php/Create_/_Edit_Panel

deled is pretty simple .being at this point from about a month is surprising
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting nowhere Reply with quote

abcd wrote:
Is there any way for the programmers to change the selection from shift click to straight forward left click? Most other 3d programs manage that without any problems.

You get used to it. I myself have problems when I try to play around with other 3D tools Laughing
A custom key configuration would be nice though.
santutatu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting nowhere Reply with quote

At the bottom of this page it's the vid version of that tutorial, you might find it useful, about selecting objects, first be sure that you are in the object mode, then you have to HOLD down the shift and then, press on the object with the left click, if you wanna select two or more objects, to that process add the ctrl holding it down as you're doing with the shift (so it's something like this SHIFT+ctrl+leftclick on various objects). About selecting faces, polys, and vertexes, it's exactly the same. Wink

Mr.Fletcher wrote:
You get used to it. I myself have problems when I try to play around with other 3D tools Laughing
A custom key configuration would be nice though.

Laughing Laughing Yeah me too, I cannot even touch wings or ms3d or Rhinoceros Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
abcd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll leave it for a while and maybe check back again later if the program gets upgraded. It looks a very useful piece of software and obviously people are doing amazing things with it. However, ease of use is high on my list and if I have to get in depth help on the most simplest of things for any programme that rings alarm bells for me.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've learned to select things and what edit modes are about, things aren't more complicated than other programs. Basically, it's just an extra key you've got to hold for selecting things.
By which I don't want to play down the fairly complicated use of DeleD, there's still plenty of space to improve here.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. DeleD is the easiest 3D software I have ever used.

The cube is not 'create mode'. It's object mode. It deals with commands on an entire object, instead of one of the things (verts, edges, polygons) that make up the object.

Anything you need help with, you can just ask here. Even if it's a 'stupid question', someone will be more than happy to answer you. This is a very friendly and patient community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some annoyances, but I agree - DeleD has to be one of the easiest 3D modelers out there control-wise.
Coty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:
There are some annoyances, but I agree - DeleD has to be one of the easiest 3D modelers out there control-wise.

I agree too. I found DeleD very easy to use.
fangelico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah me too, I cannot even touch wings or ms3d or Rhinoceros

Well... MS3D has his own reasons to not being touch...
abcd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

Just to say that I spent some more time with the program after comments from this topic and am now getting a little further with it. Although I still argue that the process of selection and manipulation is overly complicated.

Once you're "in" it is easier to work, but the initial stumbling block shouldn't be there in the first place.

Thanks for the comments.
fangelico

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the initial stumbling block shouldn't be there in the first place.

Indeed , DeleD is super easy to use. BUT the first time you run the progam ,you cannot select anything because is not intuitive.
BUT once you get used to , DeleD rocks , and Rocks Hard Twisted Evil
cheers
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABCD: Thank you for posting your initial problems with our choice to use shift-click as a selection mechanism.

We don't take switching selection mechanisms lightly (as it might alienate all our current users who have been used to shift-click for years... and allowing the application to switch between the two mechanisms is not an option as far as I'm concerned), but we have had similar signals from new users before, so at some point we might actually consider to switch.

What does everybody think?
fangelico

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im used to it.
But it would be nice for newcomers to have that option, and it would feel more intuitive.
The critical question is : it would be turned on as default ?
cheers
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't switch, my arms/hands are completely grown into the DeleD Shift/control use, I would hate it when it would switch Razz (you could do that you can use or shift or something else in the options menu)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: